Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat very picky eaters, eat 20% of hay, the rest thrown out.

BlueOz

Cavy Slave
I have ordered fresh hay from a reputable source.

My guinea pigs poke around in the hay pile, appear to be looking for certain strands of hay while ignoring others. After a while they are done and won't eat from that pile of hay any more. They may call for food even when they have a good sized pile of hay. If I clear that pile and add more hay from my supply then they start picking through it again. I end up throwing out about 70% of the hay because they are only interested in eating 30% of it.

Is this a normal ratio of eating out of the pile? If they get hungry enough will they eat the rest of it? Does this mean that the hay is not good quality?

Robert

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally normal. All guinea pigs are like that.

BlueOz

Cavy Slave
Thanks - @Kelsie. I was wondering if perhaps some pieces of hay are more nutritious or aromatic than other pieces. I will try to fake them out by mixing in some new hay. It is good that they eat the hay if they get hungry enough, that would be better than them going hungry if I am away at work.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My young boys do the same. They spread it out everywhere, pick through what they want, and play in the rest. The split second I gather it all back in and pile it up in the corner, they're in it thinking it's all new hay, munching happily. They're just silly, I think.

BlueOz

Cavy Slave
My young boys do the same. They spread it out everywhere, pick through what they want, and play in the rest. The split second I gather it all back in and pile it up in the corner, they're in it thinking it's all new hay, munching happily. They're just silly, I think.

I am trying some of these techniques. I am trying to figure out if they can truly identify which hay they want to eat out of the pile or if it is a novelty thing.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yup. My last one and current one eat the "good" pieces. Now mind you i take the time to sort through each strand while watching tv so no debris, sticks, browns, yellows... and still not all gets eaten. I think the reason is after sitting for long and having been sat on and such it's viewed as old. They dont get its the same box. So when you put a new batch in they think better. If they stop rating the hay, take it out and put new batch in. Mine didn't buy my just putting it back in. You want them to eat a lot of hay so do what you have to do or there will be problems requiring an exotic vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.