Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Ultrasonic Humidifier warning (and humidity question)

mzehnich

Cavy Slave
Hey all, so it's been exceptionally dry in our place for some reason this winter, with the heater running a lot more than usual lately we've (the humans, not the pigs :)) been getting nosebleeds and cracked skin, and this of course made me worried about the piggies but also curious about what kind of humidity is even best for them. I have never used a humidifier or even given much thought to the ambient humidity, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about what's best for guinea pigs out there either. So, any advice on that front would be really appreciated!

Also wanted to say, we did pick up a humidifier, and only when I got it up and running is when I went: oh crap, it's ultrasonic... and it made me think of stuff like dog whistles (which I find to be a really cruel concept -- who knows how bad it actually is for the dog?). Anyway, within about 10 minutes it was clear that the guinea pigs did not enjoy this thing being run. They didn't get startled or run and hide, they just went into their houses and were very quiet and not themselves, only peeking their heads out to get stray pieces of hay. So, even though I couldn't find any information on what kind of frequency the thing was putting out, I decided it was no good (and the only information I could find on the hearing range of a guinea pig is from this site: https://www.lsu.edu/deafness/HearingRange.html - it seems far enough away from humans to cause concern). Planning on trying an evaporative humidifier if I can find one.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Planning on trying an evaporative humidifier if I can find one.

I have a Vornado humidifier and really like it......after previously owning other brands and models. I bought mine from BBB with a 20% off coupon (as I do many items). Don't be dissuaded by the negative reviews.....most of them are people whining about design limitations. Yes, the main one mentioned is annoying, but does not interfere with the overall function. Don't these people research what they are buying, or go into a physical store to examine the item?

We use it in our bedroom at night and are quite pleased with its function and with the noise level.

Vornado? Whole Room Evaporative Humidifier - Evap2

https://www.vornado.com/product-category/humidifiers/evaporative

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

dawnmb57

Cavy Slave
We have an ultrasonic humidifier that works great and neither the rats nor the guinea pigs seem to be bothered by any sounds coming from it. I never even thought about ultrasonic having anything to do with noise when I bought it so I was kind of surprised. I know it uses a vibration to emit the water droplets.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.