Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Loxicam for dogs, is it safe?

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

So we took Domino to the vet two days ago, and we found he had some arthritis. The vet prescribed him some meloxicam, but when I took a look at the meloxicam, it was Loxicom and said it should only be used for dogs. Is it still okay to use? I might just be paranoid, but I want to be safe. Also, we noticed he had some weight loss and smaller poops, possibly because of his bossy roommate, so she also gave us some critical care to supplement his regular food. Should I introduce the meloxicam/critical care one at a time? Or can I just give it to him all in one day? I don't want to mess with his digestive system.

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Neither is likely to affect his digestive system, but as always, with all cavies and medication of any kind, keep an eye on him.

And yes, the meloxicam is ok to use. There's some concern about very long term use of it, but several piggies that I know of have been on it for more than a year with no bad effects.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.