Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Scared the dickens outta me!

Shieme

Cavy Slave
So this morning fine, Zoe was noisy as ever and ate/drank. After work, nothing. I go in and a little wheek then nothing. Got the veggie dish and filled it. No Zoe. She's in the hut. I forced her out. Shiemi's eating like a champ. Zoe, runs back in the hut. I put a leaf down, nope. I got scared. Thump for bloat, nope. Fine. No stiff belly. Picked her up which she pretty muched allowed. More concern. Check ears, nose and eyes, fine. Great, morning run to the vets because I'm not allowing her to get too sick! I backed off and she runs to the bowl, doesn't eat yet. I held my breath and backed away further. She eats! Yes! She's mad at me! I picked her up this morning and after a few minutes, she "nip" me to put her back in the cage. I ignored her. Now she doesn't want anything to do with me. I can live with that... for now.

BTW, what I concider a nip isn't a nip but it's also not a bite. It doesn't hurt or even pinch. It's more like an open mouth, teeth touching skin.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Has she given you "the butt" yet? Where she just turns around and shows you her butt, and nothing else? Then you know you're REALLY in trouble!

frotoandsam

Cavy Slave
I've gotten the "nip" before too when they aren't in the mood to be held/lap time. I've also gotten the butt, lol. Mostly from Frodo and not Sam. Sam will regularly chatter at me in the morning if I am slow with getting them their lettuce.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sly has never, ever bitten me hard enough to draw blood. He has only ever nipped enough to pinch, and I can count on one hand how many times he's done that. It's always when I'm holding him, and he's telling me he has to pee really, really bad.

That said, Punkin is a little bit of a nipper. Also when he wants to go home.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It doesn't hurt or even pinch. It's more like an open mouth, teeth touching skin.

That's amusing, but I know exactly what you mean. My most loving, mellow boy, Sparky, will start "chewing my face" when he wants to go back to the cage. Wide open mouth with teeth on the skin. I can push him away, turn him around, pet him for a bit, but if he is really serious, he will resume the behavior until I take him home. This is the same boy who wants to kiss me passionately when he feels so inclined. If I would permit him to do so, I'll swear that he would lick my lips off. :p Apparently, that's his way of showing affection. And, he never kisses my husband........only me.

My boys just turned 2 yrs. old and Chip (very high-strung) has been a biter from Day 1.....and I mean bite to draw blood. We have worked with him and slowly but steadily he has made progress. He simply hasn't known the difference between a nip and a bite. Sparky grooms Chip's ears and then Chip wants to return the favor. But Chip bites too hard and Sparky yelps and pulls away.

He's at the point where the only time he bites hard is when he's frightened....as during nail clipping. For that, I wear nitrile/latex gloves. Patience has paid off for all of us.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's amusing, but I know exactly what you mean. My most loving, mellow boy, Sparky, will start "chewing my face" when he wants to go back to the cage. Wide open mouth with teeth on the skin. I can push him away, turn him around, pet him for a bit, but if he is really serious, he will resume the behavior until I take him home. This is the same boy who wants to kiss me passionately when he feels so inclined. If I would permit him to do so, I'll swear that he would lick my lips off. :p Apparently, that's his way of showing affection. And, he never kisses my husband........only me.

My boys just turned 2 yrs. old and Chip (very high-strung) has been a biter from Day 1.....and I mean bite to draw blood. We have worked with him and slowly but steadily he has made progress. He simply hasn't known the difference between a nip and a bite. Sparky grooms Chip's ears and then Chip wants to return the favor. But Chip bites too hard and Sparky yelps and pulls away.

He's at the point where the only time he bites hard is when he's frightened....as during nail clipping. For that, I wear nitrile/latex gloves. Patience has paid off for all of us.

Scooter is the same way as Sparky! I can sit him on my chest, and say "give Daddy kisses" and pucker up, and he will start licking my bottom lip on command! Punkin does this also, but rarely. Scooter will do it virtually every time I ask. I'm the only one they will give kisses to... never my wife.

Poopy was also that way with nail clipping. He was a biter, but only once or twice hard enough to draw blood. But he would chomp good and hard to let you know he was displeased. If he bit you and you left your hand near his face, he would stare at you with his mouth agape, as if to say "do it again, I dare you", and if you didn't move he would chomp again. I also wore thick work gloves when we did his nails. I always had to hold him, of course.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
No, I haven't gotten "the butt" yet. My cat did something similar but then I did the same to her back. But this eating thing, Shiemi hasn't done that yet!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, I haven't gotten "the butt" yet. My cat did something similar but then I did the same to her back. But this eating thing, Shiemi hasn't done that yet!

Both Punkin and Scooter give my wife "the butt". I'll be holding them, and no matter which side of me she sits down on, as soon as she does they turn in the opposite direction, every single time. Pisses her right off, but I laugh. I find it highly amusing. They're ALL daddy's boys!

Spartan021

Cavy Slave
ive almost been bitten by rascal because he wanted me to stop petting him and maisy because I was "disturbing" her and the orphan pup while checking on them to make sure the pup was fine.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I get the "bite" from Ziggy almost every single time I hold her if I don't have food for her too - one of many reasons why she is nicknamed Ziggy Piggy. She will also come up to the top of the cage and give me "kisses" which aren't licks but I kiss her and she gives me whisker kisses back.

Cuddles on the other hand.... she's not a biter, but if she even thinks you are going to pick her up she will try to run away and give you the butt. Once you get her up tho, she appreciates food, but she loves scratchies more.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Zoe just gave me a kiss because I gave both a dried apple slice and pea flakes for a treat. She was so nice tonight that I was like, "is this the same piggie or a pod piggie?" She has a lot of personality and moods. It's funny and the reason I love animals. I hate when people say animals don't have souls. If it feels pain and has a personality, then it has a soul!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.