Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Anybody with Chronic Illness/Chronic Pain?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to see if there were others out there with chronic illnesses and chat about it and our animals.
I have fibromyalgia and severe chronic pain. I also have three cats, two rescue dogs (1 is a puppy) and two newish one yo guinea pigs.

It's a lot to handle sometimes and gets a bit overwhelming; although I love the animals, they're the best therapy too.

How about you?

How do you handle it?

I have chronic migraines. I love animals but reduced them to. Only one (two for piggies but one cage). They make me laugh and it helps the pain. They are still young so they aren't into cuddles but Shiemi does love being petted on her nose and ears. I just get up and deal with the pain because seeing them happy makes me happy and again helps with the pain. I clean there cage twice a day, just scoop the poop. They get curiousand popcorn around me, it's cute. I don't think I could handle multiple pets.

I should mention that I'm not totally alone in their care, my wife and daughter help, but I have to direct everything and be responsible for noticing needs or making all the decisions.

It's frustrating and doesn't feel helpful.

I do love the interaction with guinea pigs. I wish ours could be out more.

I have fibromyalgia too. I actually find our herd great little therapy animals. I do get a lot of help from my fiancé, a -lot-. He's great about cleaning out our little ones.

I think handling it for me comes down to attitude more than anything. Being positive and determined. And constantly exploring new ways to help myself outside of drugs. Some days are better than others. I take comfort in my herd and my fiance and knowing that at least it's not degenerative.

I have ADHD and Asperger's I also have chronic back pain and chronic wrist pain which sucks when your only 23 years old.

I have lupus, Graves and hoshimotos, in addition to being prone to migraines.
Most of the time taking care of our gp sow pair (daughter's - although I knew when we brought them home I'd be responsible mostly) and the 6 month old boxer mix puppy (technically husband's) is on me. Daughter is 6 and husband is pretty much always at work.
I'll be honest, some days it is all a joy. Other days I have to give myself permission to do bare minimum, and others it is just ... well the cage is gonna suck tomorrow because I just can't spot clean today. (The last one happens very rarely and only when I am in a severe flare and husband isn't home to be begged to do it.) I try to get pup to the dog run most days, but sometimes just getting her out in the yard is bordering on too much.
Sometimes the only way I survive is ordering in food, and using the tv as a babysitter.

Not proud, but honest.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

@PiggyGrandma15, wow you have a lot of thyroid issues. Migraines and Graves have a lot of the same symptoms so sorry you have to deal with all that. Then to top off lupus! What ever you are taking pretty much clashes with another medication. Wish you could get some help with your fur babies.

Hahaha. Yeah, I'm the world's worst patient. I am so noncompliance with meds. The thyroid meds make my Lupus go crazy. The lupus kicks off and I'm done.

My husband helps when I really beg, but he doesn't do it "right". Daughter does a lot for her age, but there's only so much she can do.

Hahaha. Yeah, I'm the world's worst patient. I am so noncompliance with meds. The thyroid meds make my Lupus go crazy. The lupus kicks off and I'm done.

My husband helps when I really beg, but he doesn't do it "right". Daughter does a lot for her age, but there's only so much she can do.

I have to laugh a little bit because I have been oh-so-bad about thyroid meds in the past. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and Graves 7 yrs ago and took meds for a while. I hated the way they made me feel and my Dr at the time wouldn't work with me so eventually, I stopped taking them. Definitely dangerous. But I ended up testing clear about 2 yrs later when I was finally willing to have a new blood test done.

And in terms of the husband and the daughter - same here. Technically the piggies are supposed to be the daughters but she is only 8 so really they are ours. My wife was game on to help and knows some about keeping larger rodents, but I have to direct everything, so even when I am sick, I'm still in charge.

I "have" the following "illnesses"
-1-Dyslexia
-2-Sunlight allergy (even in winter or on a cloudy day)
-3-Varicose veins in legs since I was like 8 or 9 years old.
-4-Severe Classic Autism (but high functioning)
--Illnesses connected to constant stress because of autism:
-Tendontitis in my wrists and fingers (sometimes also elbows and shoulders)
-Combination of Migraines + Tension headaches.
-Problems with my digestive system.
-Can't sleep so always tired/exhausted.

I live on my own and I take care of my 3 piggies by myself :)
And I also have 2 hamsters and 2 doggies
My pets are my little angels :love:

I "have" the following "illnesses"
-1-Dyslexia
-2-Sunlight allergy (even in winter or on a cloudy day)
-3-Varicose veins in legs since I was like 8 or 9 years old.
-4-Severe Classic Autism (but high functioning)
--Illnesses connected to constant stress because of autism:
-Tendontitis in my wrists and fingers (sometimes also elbows and shoulders)
-Combination of Migraines + Tension headaches.
-Problems with my digestive system.
-Can't sleep so always tired/exhausted.

I live on my own and I take care of my 3 piggies by myself :)
And I also have 2 hamsters and 2 doggies
My pets are my little angels :love:

Ahh love, that's rough! I didn't even list off my non-neurotypical disorders that cause physical problems! Or my extended physical problems from my others. Sounds rough, but like you push through it with power!

I also have severe anxiety & social anxiety, bipolar 2 (as in the less manic kind, switch faster so less likely to do the full-on spins most people associate with bipolar disorder), PTSD, migraines, light sensitivity/disorientation in stores, tendonitis that started first in my right arm before I got diagnosed with fibro.... UGH! I HATE being diagnosed after a point. I mean, they can be helpful, but seriously, how many does a person need to carry?

I realize this is an old thread, but am a new member and thought I would share. I have chronic migraines and IBS.
My husband, however, is the main concern in my life rn. He has extremely high blood pressure, and is very often told it "isn't a problem because of his age. It isn't probable that he would have high blood pressure and we are reading it wrong, etc." He has now been in the emergency room on 5 different occasions for stuff related to this. Passing out, Severe chest pain, etc. We have finally found a doctor that is testing to find the problem. He also has alot of pain from injuries in car accidents.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have POTS which is basically an illness where my blood pressure gets too low, my heart rate gets too high and I can pass out. This is made worse by bending over, leaning, physical exertion, along with many other factors.
I do require a lot of down time so I?ve found that I really enjoy having my pig in my bedroom where I can see her and play with her. I find the hardest part of taking care of her is changing her bedding. She currently is using shavings but I am about to make the switch to fleece. The bending and standing required to switch bedding is definitely hard on me and drains me for the day. Especially in the warm summer days I find that I have to wait until the end of the day to change bedding. I have an air conditioner so it is a good temperature for my piggy but all the moving definitely increases my temperature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.