Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Help: How long after spraying insecticide can I bring pigs back to house

Astroblu

Cavy Slave
I recently moved last month and ever since I've moved in we have been attacked by very large spiders. My 3 pigs and I live downstairs where all the spiders are, I've tried everything natural from peppermint oil to vinegar but nothing has worked. The spiders are only downstairs. My parents are calling exterminaters tomorrow and my piggies will be staying over at a friend's until it is safe. How long should I wait to bring the pigs back inside?? We are only spraying downstairs.

It really depends on what kind of spray/chemicals the exterminators will be using. It would be best to ask the exterminator directly how long you should wait before it is safe to bring your pets back.

Generally I like to play it safe, even if it is safe for me and my pets to go back in within a few hours (when a pet safe product is used) I like my guinea pigs to stay somewhere safe for at least a day while I open all the windows and let the house air out.

Save your money. Sprays and chemicals placed around the house won't do anything for spiders, because they don't lick their feet. If you don't hit the spider with the spray, it won't die. And if you do hit it, even something like hair spray will work.

Sticky traps work better than anything else, IMO.

Just for clarity, my personal experience has only been with insecticides used for termites.

Another good way to dispose of spiders if you don't want to physically squash them, and don't want to/can't use a spray, is to use a vacuum cleaner. https://www.hunker.com/12003536/does-vacuuming-kill-bugs-spiders

Personally if I can reach a spider and it is a kind that isn't dangerously poisonous to me or my pets I just get a container and put over the top of them, slide some paper underneath so they are contained, then relocate them to outside where they aren't going to cause any issues (though I understand that sounds outlandish and terrifying to anyone even slightly arachnophobic).

Just FYI, spiders breathe through their legs which might also be why insecticides don't work. What kind of spiders? You might be fighting a losing battle. If you live in a area with lots of insects, that can cause spiders to multiply. Damp areas also cause spiders. Spiders hate cold. Find out what kind of spiders you have and do a google search. Killing insects around the house won't stop them, they will just wait till they come back. They can wait out months if the area they are living in has all other conditions perfect for them.

i worked at a foster home and this one teenage girl (regardless how poisonous it was) would pick them up and take them outside. I squirmed every Time!

I live in Washington state, I think they are wolf spiders. They are very large and black. They don't make webs.

Wolf spiders chase people or anything and they jump! They are fuzzy brown to dark brown. They do not make webs, you are correct on that but do make egg sacks. They are almost impossible to get rid of but they do not live in groups. So it's weird (but not impossible) that you have an infestation of them. They like cool/warm places. Dry too. Very little moisture areas. Describe the buggers too me. Yes, I hate spiders but I try to learn so I don't have them around! I get one every so often and that's too much!

i think you have house spiders. They are native in that area and do have webs but they hide them in cracks or very dark corners. Is the downstairs cluttered? Because they love that.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.