Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Wood exercise pen

hbrens

Cavy Slave
My parents went away, but before they left, my dad made me a big exercise pen (a quivk one u til he has time to make a good one) for my guinea pig with a natural wooden bottom. So i put old carpet ontop with some towels.. Well i came home from work and it smells like urine.. I know she only peed in one corner, but she wasnt in there at all today and it didnt smell this morning... Ive tried using lysol, pinesol, baking soda, it just isnt working. My entire house smells. Tomorrow i am taking it outside and she will have to use the smaller exercise pen i have instead of that one..

Any ideas what to get the smell out with??

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A pen with a wooden floor just won't work for a guinea pig. Carpet on towels also isn't a very good form of bedding.

You could line the bottom of the cage with linoleum or a plastic shower curtain to protect the wood, but be sure that the pig can't get to it -- she'll think they're both delicious. You can use something like aspen shavings, Care Fresh, or wood pellets (without a strong pine odor) to completely cover the waterproof liner. That will take care of the smell, assuming you can get it out of the wood to begin with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.