Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Wilbur Medical Thread: Soft clustered poops?

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
So while I have just lost one pig and Chauncey is fighting the same uri, Wilbur has developed soft stool with a little tip on the end and not nearly as much as he normally turns out in a day.
Wilbur is a skinny pig a little over a year old.
His tummy didn't really feel tight to me but I gave him a warm soak, massaged it and cleaned around his anal sack which got me a few farts.
Took him out of the tub to do an actually sack cleaning and it's very poopy, got more farts and about 4 poo clusters that looked like 3-4 soft poops all stuck together to make bigger poops.

He seems to be eating veggies and pellets fine but water and hay intake might be down.

i cant for the life of me find my scale so i ordered a new one that should be here sunday. My vets not back until monday. but if he doesn't show improvement i'll take him in.

could an upset tummy at all be a symptom of a uri at all?

only thinking i could think of was that he blocked up his water bottle spout and might not have had water for a day or he ate something weird?
He thinks puppy pad edges are gourmet and sometimes eats cardboard.

I have benebac coming in for Chauncey, would that be beneficial to Wilbur also?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Soft poops are never a sign of too little water.

You should take Wilbur off all veggies and see if the poop firms up. If so, add veggies back one at a time, 24-48 hours in between, and see if one of them is causing the problem.

If the poop doesn't firm up, definitely give him Benebac. And watch him carefully to see if he's eating enough. If not, you'll need to hand feed him.

And if he's not eating, he needs to see a vet.

It doesn't sound to me like a URI.

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I didnt think it should be a sign of uri but I'm quite paranoid about them being ill right now :c
I'll follow those steps and keep a close eye on him.

SharkStars

Cavy Slave
Phew! so relieved. This morning his poops are well formed! I will keep a close eye on it but i think getting all the gas and backed up poops out helped.
I'll only give him one veggie a night for now to see if any cause a problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.