Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Re: Sly's Medical Thread

If I haven't seen any poop by morning, I'm going to get him in to Dr Ker. I was really hoping the vibration and the simethicone would do the trick rather than subject the poor little furball to his third vet trip in 7 days, but I'll do what I have to do for him.

I apologize for the curtness of my two previous replies. I was on the highway on my phone when I made them. :D

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/412 Posts
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Praying for the poop fairy!

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

6:00 am, still no poop.

He's still eating on his own, though through the night I'm not sure how much. I know he ate a bunch of his veggies, he wolfed a cucumber slice this morning, and his pellets appear to be disturbed.

Off to Dr Ker he will go this morning.

Thanks
    Thanks
    19 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Oh, poor little baby. He seems like a real trooper. Wishing you and Sly all the good thoughts and needed strength.

7. "Thank you, Squiggles, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

Any chance he is pooping and just eating it? Antibiotics can definitely cause them to eat all their poop and not just their cecal pellets.

Regardless, best wishes for you guys. Motility meds should get everything moving again.

9. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Sly went to the vet this morning, but I've been out of town all day and just able to post now.

There is no bloat, and there is no stasis. He didn't require meds of any kind, other than what he's already on.

Dr Ker simply feels that even though he's eating some on his own, and being force fed critical care several times a day, that he still needs more food.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,204 Rec'd/5,737 Posts
    Mentioned
    2022 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3767 Post(s)

I'm with @sallyvh. I think he's eating all his poops. That happens pretty frequently with sick pigs.

12. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    496 Rec'd/399 Posts
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quoted
    210 Post(s)

I recently had 4 pigs with URI's on antibiotics. Everyone tolerated them well but Pippa, my 4 month, old followed everyone around eating their poops for about a week.

I would say it's a strong possibility he's eating them before you see any. Especially if there's no sign of any stasis or bloating.

14. "Thank you, sallyvh, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Thanks, guys. I've not had to deal with this to this extent yet (Poopy was on Baytril and he got bad, but not THIS bad)

He's a miserable little cretin to force feed, too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Just gave Sly another force feeding (have I said how much he HATES it?) And I've discovered poops in his cage and his hidey! Mostly small, misshapen poops, but we've finally got some output.

17. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,538 Rec'd/1,267 Posts
    Mentioned
    584 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1142 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Just gave Sly another force feeding (have I said how much he HATES it?) And I've discovered poops in his cage and his hidey! Mostly small, misshapen poops, but we've finally got some output.
    I still say to give him a couple handfuls of fresh grass. I would be surprised if you don't get dark, moist poops. And, I agree with @sallyvh in that if there is no sign of stasis or bloat, he is probably eating what output there has been.

Have you as yet tried mixing a bit of baby food with the CC? That changes up the taste for some variety. Beechnut makes an organic line that has some tasty cavy flavors.

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    I still say to give him a couple handfuls of fresh grass. I would be surprised if you don't get dark, moist poops. And, I agree with @sallyvh in that if there is no sign of stasis or bloat, he is probably eating what output there has been.

Have you as yet tried mixing a bit of baby food with the CC? That changes up the taste for some variety. Beechnut makes an organic line that has some tasty cavy flavors.
    I've not tried that yet, @spy9doc. I will pick some up today, though I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not. For being such a sweet, easygoing little man, I can't believe how much he fights being fed. What strength he does have, he uses it to fight and the longer the feeding goes on the worse he gets.

He's gotten a few handfuls of grass the last couple of days, and while he has eaten some (in the past he would devour the pile in one sitting) He picks at it through the day. He'll sit there for five or six minutes and munch, then go and lie down again. The Baytril is REALLY not agreeing with him at all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I don't post much as I am an inexperienced cavy owner and have no wisdom to share. But I always read the new posts and look forward to Sly's Medical Thread updates. I hope to read that Sly has perked up and is once again enjoying his food (and of course pooping). Sending good thoughts to Sly. He is simply adorable :).

21. "Thank you, SSLee, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SSLee View Post
    I don't post much as I am an inexperienced cavy owner and have no wisdom to share. But I always read the new posts and look forward to Sly's Medical Thread updates. I hope to read that Sly has perked up and is once again enjoying his food (and of course pooping). Sending good thoughts to Sly. He is simply adorable :).
    Thank you for the kind words, @SSLee. There have been a few bumps in the road this time around with the little fella. He's quite the character! I must say that I'm fairly certain we've beaten the infection, but he's going to stay on the Baytril the prescribed two weeks just to be sure as this go around very nearly took him away from us.

There has been more poop today, small misshapen ones. Nothing close to normal, but there IS poop. He's been eating more on his own today, and his attitude seems to be more improved especially when the force feeding is over! He's had 3 feedings today so far to supplement what he IS eating.

23. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    675 Rec'd/583 Posts
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quoted
    358 Post(s)

@Guinea Pig Papa, I have been closely following your posts regarding Sly. I have been keeping him, and also you, in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much for your continued updates. I know that we are all pulling for your little fella. We love you Sly!❤️

25. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    @Guinea Pig Papa, I have been closely following your posts regarding Sly. I have been keeping him, and also you, in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much for your continued updates. I know that we are all pulling for your little fella. We love you Sly!❤️
    Thank you very, very much @Kelsie. This has been pretty rough on him, and to be honest it's been just as rough on me, emotionally. Today and tonight, he has been pooping more, but his energy seems to be dwindling. Tonight was clean cage night, and as always he comes out into pen on his own for some quiet time munching oranges while I clean his side. He was pretty weak getting out to the big box, and he kind of dragged his legs on the way in. He only ate 2/3 of one orange segment, where he usually devours two. Only 5 more days on the Baytril.

I decided to change things up tonight, and he got almost a full 12cc syringe of Emeraid. While I don't think he especially liked it more or less than the critical care, it's more energy dense and a LOT easier to get into him. A lot less of a fight.

THIS is the look I get when trying to feed him. He's a little heartbreaker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180730_145523.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	85111

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    542 Rec'd/412 Posts
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guinea Pig Papa View Post
    Thank you very, very much @Kelsie. This has been pretty rough on him, and to be honest it's been just as rough on me, emotionally. Today and tonight, he has been pooping more, but his energy seems to be dwindling. Tonight was clean cage night, and as always he comes out into pen on his own for some quiet time munching oranges while I clean his side. He was pretty weak getting out to the big box, and he kind of dragged his legs on the way in. He only ate 2/3 of one orange segment, where he usually devours two. Only 5 more days on the Baytril.

I decided to change things up tonight, and he got almost a full 12cc syringe of Emeraid. While I don't think he especially liked it more or less than the critical care, it's more energy dense and a LOT easier to get into him. A lot less of a fight.

THIS is the look I get when trying to feed him. He's a little heartbreaker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180730_145523.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	85111
    Awe sly... ❤ hang in there buddy. Ate you going to finish out baytril if his eating worsens in hopes he gets more of an appetite back? Has anyone done that?

Thanks
    Thanks
    553 Rec'd/460 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    408 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Awe sly... ❤ hang in there buddy. Ate you going to finish out baytril if his eating worsens in hopes he gets more of an appetite back? Has anyone done that?
    The baytril has basically killed his appetite. While he will eat some on his own, he eats almost nothing of his favourites right now. He still eats some of the staples, and some of his veggies but he no longer eats critical care voluntarily. The pneumonia was bad enough that Dr Ker insists he finish the two week course. We have 5 days left, and although he is weak and not eating enough he is being force fed several times a day. As far as the infection goes, he is in a far better place right now. We will keep fighting, and helping him fight.

29. "Thank you, Guinea Pig Papa, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List