Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets When to change from young food to adult food

Yopegranny

Cavy Slave
Hi, so I got two guinea pigs in mid August. They were estimated to be anywhere between 2 months to 4 months old and since their not sisters they could be a month or two apart. So now the two of them could be anywhere from 4-6 months. I've been weighing them every week and I've noticed one of my girls is growing faster and more each week (she now weighs 2lb 3oz) while my other pig is gaining maybe an ounce or two a week (she weighs 1lb 14oz).

I have a few concerns and questions. First, is it possible that my bigger pig is pregnant or just a fast grower. I don't know much about her background but I've had her for two months so at this point I think she'd either be bigger or had babies. And I truly don't believe my other girl is actually a boy so I don't think she could have gotten pregnant after we brought her home.

Second, would you all suggest I switch both pigs to an adult diet? I definitely think my big pig needs to be switched since she's gaining around 3 ounces a week on the young diet. But I'm a little worried that my other pig may suffer from being switched too early? I can't think of anyway to have them have different pellet diets though.

Ok I think that's everything. Thank you!

Yopegranny

Cavy Slave
Forgot to mention right now I feed them unlimited oxbow young pellets (as suggested), unlimited hay, and a cup or two of veggies everyday. For they're adult diet I'd only be changing the pellets to the adult oxbow with 1/8 cup a day per pig (as suggested).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The first I'd do is turn them both over and make sure they're both female. If you have any questions, see www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm.

Three ounces is a week is a lot for a pig to gain. The likely reasons are that she's pregnant, or she's a cuy. Either way, I wouldn't change her to an adult diet. If she's pregnant, she needs a young pig's diet. If she's a cuy and isn't six months old, she also needs a young pig's diet.

Yopegranny

Cavy Slave
So I took your advice and I'm very confident they're both ladies. And I don't think she's a cuy. All the cuys I've ever seen look similar to american pigs and she's a crested medium haired pig. I'm not sure though, can cuys have that sort of genetic diversity since they're breeded so specifically?

She's actually gaining more like 2oz-2.5oz a week. I just rounded up in my head and posted that number. I should have posted the more accurate one sorry. So I'm not sure if that's as drastic as I originally made it seem.

And again, I'm not sure if she's 6 months or not. As far as I know she could be and my other girl isn't yet. That's why I'm wondering when I should switch them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The six months is just a guideline. It won't hurt the older one to be on young pig food for another couple of months.

Yopegranny

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks, should I switch them both over when the smaller one reaches 2lbs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd switch them when the younger one is six months.

Yopegranny

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure when she'll be six months. We don't know their exact ages

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.