Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury PET MOUSE INJURY - Any Ideas?

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I recognise that this forum is guinea-pig oriented, but I wanted to see if any of you have experienced this with a pet mouse before. I tried searching on the internet, but couldn't really find much.

A few days ago, my mouse was fine and appeared healthy. Today, I took him out of his habitat to find that one of his eyes was almost completely closed, and there was blood near it. I inspected the rest of his body, and there was a big clump of red near his rear. It was dried up in his fur, so I used some water to loosen it. It was a round reddish object that had some tissue trailing from it. At this point, it looked like he was missing his eye, and the horrifying thought that he must have somehow removed his eyeball from his socket popped into my mind. However, upon closer inspection, I saw that his eyeball was still there (thankfully). I looked over his body once more, wondering where the blood and tissue had come from, and I noticed that his testicles were dark black in colour (like how I would imagine dead skin to appear) and empty (as in, the tissue was very flat; there appeared to be nothing in there). Now I am wondering if he somehow bit his testicles out or something. There are little patches of blood in different areas of his habitat.

I don't understand what happened with him, and I'm not sure what I should do. He is eating and drinking, but he is also definitely not very active. I'm really worried about him.

Anybody have any idea? I'm scared that he is going to die :(

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Is he kept with another mouse? If so, it was a fight. Male mice can absolutely be vicious towards each other, and it can happen very suddenly. If not, I'd check for anything he could've gotten caught in, like if you have a wire wheel or anything similar. He could have gotten his testicles caught and hurt himself getting loose.

Either way, you need to get him to a vet. There's nothing more you can do at home, and the dead tissue and lethargy could be a sign of infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
(To be clear, I've never kept pet mice, but I do often work with them at a shelter.)

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Is he kept with another mouse? If so, it was a fight. Male mice can absolutely be vicious towards each other, and it can happen very suddenly. If not, I'd check for anything he could've gotten caught in, like if you have a wire wheel or anything similar. He could have gotten his testicles caught and hurt himself getting loose.

Either way, you need to get him to a vet. There's nothing more you can do at home, and the dead tissue and lethargy could be a sign of infection.

No, he was kept alone. His wheel is plastic, and I don't think there is anything he could have got caught on. I'll double check though. Before bed last night I saw him drinking some water, even though he wasn't being active, and that sparked some hope. I gave him extra tissue paper to sleep in, and made the room warmer since I felt that he was colder than normal. Unfortunately, he has passed on. I found him deceased this morning.

Thank you for your help!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry I couldn't help more, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.