Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Just found out my piggies is a male

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
Disappointing!! Thought I was getting two females. It's not that I like females more then males, it's just that the cage is all set up for them. Now I have to split the cage and get more things like another water bottle. I have booked for him to be desexed but that isn't for a week after I get them. :( Just so sad for them going to a new place then being separated for a while.

Thank you for letting me just rant a bit.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Did you put them on hold or something? Where are you getting them from? Do you have them yet? Is there any way you can get two females instead? Sorry for all the questions, it just seems weird that if you don't have them yet you can't do anything about it. Of course I could have missed something in another thread, I apologize in advance if I offend you I totally don't mean it just extremely curious.

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
I'm getting them from a breeder (I know end of the world). They have said I could swope and get another male or female but I do have my eyes on these two as they are such a cute pair.

Question: how old are they when they can breed and how old do they have to be desexed?

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
Desexing Age? Sexual maturity?

Hi there,

How old do piggies need to be to get desexed (neutered)? And how old can they be to breed?

Long story short got a male and female instead of two females.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Desexing Age? Sexual maturity?

Ugh. If they're together, please separate them immediately.

Males can impregnate females at about 4 weeks of age, females can get pregnant at 4-5 weeks of age. Pregnancy is very hard on sows at any age, and the death rate for sows and pups is high. But it's much higher for baby sows and their pups, and should be avoided at ALL costs.

In addition to the maternal/pup death rate, guinea pigs are susceptible to several painful/fatal genetic diseases, and they should never be bred by someone who doesn't understand the risks and the conditions that produce pigs with those diseases. In fact, many of us think they shouldn't be deliberately bred at all. There are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going without another pig ever being purposely bred.

Most vets require them to be at least four months old before the male is neutered, and they have to remain separate from the female for four weeks after the surgery.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Cathey191, please start only one thread on a topic. You've got two on this one. I'll merge it with the other one.

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
Sorry though I posted it in the wrong place so I posted another. Still getting used to all the different places.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
How old are they now?
Is the breeder keeping them together until you get them?

If he's only a few weeks old when you get him, they'll have to be kept completely separate for at least 3-4 months before he can be neutered, have time to recover, and be reintroduced to the girl. That means no "play dates" or playtime together, no putting them together for cuddles or pictures, and keeping a lid on the female's cage if they're next to each other.

If you have to get baby guinea pigs from a breeder, do the piggies a favor and get two of the same gender. Them being a particularly cute pair is not worth keeping two very young and social animals alone for months.

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
Yea I think I am coming to the realization that I shouldn't get them, at least not together. They are only 5 weeks old and the breeder IS keeping them together. Think I might get another two just incase the female is already pregnant! It is just super disappointing as I have been waiting two weeks for this two.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I definitely wouldn't take them, because the female may very well be pregnant.

This is just one reason why we're so against breeding and pet stores and so pro-adoption. You have no idea whether the breeder knows what they're doing (and this one obviously doesn't).

How far are you from Auckland? There's a very good guinea pig rescue there, and you could save two pigs that need a good home, as well as free up space for two more to be rescued.

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
10 hour drive. I did look into them but they didn't want to try send them as it is a long trip. :( Sadly the only option in Wellington is a breeder, pet store or SPCA but currently SPCA doesnt have any.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
The rescue might be willing to have someone drive them to you, if not meet you part way. I've taken my girls on 5 hour drives to/from my parents and (as long as I'm prepared for it with cucumber and rest stops) they don't mind much

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
I have changed and now have two baby girls, 5 weeks old!! :) Just need names now

lissie

Cavy Slave
If those girls were kept with the boys, they could be pregnant. Keep an eye on them.

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
I got them from another place!! I didn't want to risk it. Thank you everyone for your help :D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Good. Turn them both over and compare the pertinent parts and make sure they're the same!

Cathey191

Cavy Slave
I did when I got them :) will be taking them at the vet in a few days for a check up as well

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.