Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Looking for affordable but quality hay

Guinea.rules

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone . I was wondering who can help me to find Quality hay in my country . Online shops are really expensive . Im from philippines , tight budget here but i really want a quality hay for my babies .

This is probably what you dont want to hear but buying hay from a pet store is actually way more expensive then you think. Most of them sell little bags for ridiculous prices. You could get so much more for less. If you're looking for something quality and affordable at the same time, you could get a bale of hay at your local farm. I hear people say that they only have to pay like 5 to 15 dollars. At a pet store, you would most likely only be able to get maybe a 40/60 oz. bag of hay. I buy my hay from Small Pet Select Hay, an online shop. I only bought from them once, but im really impressed. Their quality is excellent. I bought my first box of hay on March 23rd [2016] and it arrived on the 26th, a 20 lb box for, i believe, 34 dollars im guessing [i cant remember exactly]. And i still have a lot left to this day! The hay in the box is compressed i think so there's a lot in there when you pull it all apart. The strands are long and green and my pigs love it:) Very good quality, and you get way more than what its worth. Id seriously recommend them.

Thanks for the info . But I know this is much cheaper for buying bale of hay but i am also having problems about the shipping cost . Its expensive same as the price of the hay :'(

Then maybe a local farm would be best..? You wouldn't have to pay shipping for that. You can google it. There are usually plenty of local farms in one town. Dont worry im sure you'll find something :) Also, maybe you could find a way to make money. Like perhaps there are some things you dont need any more, like clothes, toys, books, etc. That could help.

Im living in a city and we really dont have local farms here that is selling timothy hays ,but thanks for suggestion .

Okay, well...oh, i have an idea. You can find some grass [thats not sprayed with pesticides of course], plant it in a pot or something, let it grow taller, and then leave it in the sun so it dries up. Homemade hay basically :) Or you can just take your guinea pigs to a park so they can graze on the grass. Maybe drive out off the city to find a meadow or a forest and just find some really long grass. I usually do that. I think wild guinea pigs just eat grass and not hay, so maybe it wont hurt to replace hay with actual grass, if its really hard to find hay in your area.

If i well order a box of hay in Small pet select , and the shipping will be around a month . Do you think it will stay fresh ??

Yeah, it should. I think hay can last like half a year or a bit longer without going bad.

what pigs need is grass hay...which timothy is and people just recommend it all the time cause it the most common/popular to feed but you dont have to feed timothy you just need to feed a good grass hay...other grass hays are orchard, bluegrass, bermuda,coastal, brome, etc. so look around you for a feed store for livestock or a hay farmer and see if the have grass hay if they do it should be just fine for your pig

Hay will actually last a year with only a tiny loss of quality, and remains good to be used as food for two years, if properly stored.

If you're in a place where you can get coastal, pay very close attention to it. It's not a high quality hay, and can be stiff and stemmy.

Depending on fresh grass to satisfy a guinea pig's need for something to chew on to keep its teeth in line is not a very good option unless you live near an open area in a climate where grass grows all year around. You have to be careful about pesticides and insecticides, and there's always the possibility of pee/poop from other animals.

You can get good hay from Small Pet Select, American Pet Diner, KMS Hayloft, and others. The quality of hay varies a LOT by the weather in the area of the country it's grown it. If they have a bad year out west, the best hay may come from the east coast, and vice versa. It's always a good idea to check on the quality before you buy a lot of it.

I don't think Small Pet Select could ship hay to the Philippines. I've never seen any company that could ship hay across the border. I know some will ship pellets.

Do you have any horse stables near you? You can ask them where they get the hay they feed their horses.

Oops, didn't realize you are in the Philippines. Ditto Lissie on looking for horse stables and seeing if you can get hay there, or from their supplier.

I don't think Small Pet Select could ship hay to the Philippines. I've never seen any company that could ship hay across the border. I know some will ship pellets.

Do you have any horse stables near you? You can ask them where they get the hay they feed their horses.

I am living in the city, so we dont have horse stables here :'(

Yeah. Small pet select is not shipping any kind of there products here in the Phillippines. But i found a way to ship those products here its just that it will double the price. Aside from the original price of the hays, i will also pay almost the same amount for the shipping fee.. :sad:

Well, somebody sells hay in the Philippines, because there's horse racing there. Your best bet is to find a horse stable and ask where they get their hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.