Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores New Jersey pet store animal bill

Mortiaryfaerie

Cavy Slave
New Jersey just passed a bill that pet stores can only sell rescued animals. I think it's a good start, but as of right now it only covers cats and dogs and don't think it effects large chains like petco/smart. Thoughts?

Anything's a step forward. I just wish they'd apply it to all animals.

Petco and PetSmart only have rescue cats and dogs. They provide the space for housing them, but all of the paperwork and the exchange of money goes through the rescue organization. It's profitable for them because they are building good will with the people who adopt, who will likely return for high margin food, supplies, and services like grooming, training, and boarding.

Petco has a line of stores called Unleashed that only handles surrendered animals and gets none from breeders. I think they're only in bigger cities, but I wish they'd change their whole business model to that format.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was just using petco and petsmart as examples because I couldn't off the top of my head thing if any other chains everyone would know. There's actually ALOT of stores that still sell puppies and kittens in jersey. I lived there until December and there's very few places where there isn't one there

I might have driven past an Unleashed before. I had no idea that that was what they were. That's really cool. I hope it catches on completely, although I doubt that's likely.
It might take a while, but it's a good business model. Selling live animals from breeders is not profitable, and as the company puts more and more emphasis on selling dog training classes (free money for the store) and $70 bags of dog food, they're giving us less and less labor hours to care for the animals in house.

The only business reason I can think of for keeping the small animal department at all is that it draws in customers with young children on weekend mornings as a "free zoo", and those families usually leave with something for their pets at home, even if it's just treats and toys.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.