Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Moving Advice!

hobbitwitch94

Cavy Gazer
I am going to be moving my two girls halfway across the country at the end of the summer, on roughly a 16 hour car ride. I currently have a small wire pet store cage that I use for general travel, I got this when I adopted them from their previous owner. I am unsure if I should continue with this cage as it is small, and it puts my girls with little moving room; or if I should by a travel pet carrier for them.

I have been looking at cat carriers off Amazon, because I don't want my girls to have no exploration room for 16 hours.
I would rather not separate them into two different travel cages for the ride as I have never separated them for that long. They are extremely close cage mates and have been since I got them nearly two years ago.

I plan on getting either a non drip water bottle for them, or giving them plenty of water filled veggies for the ride. I have plenty of Hay and hiding spaces for them.

Any help/advice/concerns are welcome!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've used a medium sized dog crate for two of mine. They've done fine with it, even on long trips.

I'd just stick with the wet veggies for the ride, and offer them the water bottle when you stop. You won't need the hiding spaces -- they'll probably be huddled together in one corner of the container.

hobbitwitch94

Cavy Gazer

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I moved from California to Colorado with 8 sows, 2 dogs in a minivan. I had 2 girls per a crate with hay and cucumber (high in water content). I had a pee pad that lined the bottom of the crate and fleece on top of it. Hope this helps.

Kimb96

Cavy Gazer
I just moved in March with my two girls. I put them in a small cage for the ride and they were in it for 3 days at a hotel until we got in our new home and I could set up the big cage. They did fine. I covered the cage with a blanket for the car ride, gave them plenty of hay and their water bOttle.

hobbitwitch94

Cavy Gazer
Thank you all for your help! I tend to over worry with these girls but I think I have it all figured out now :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.