Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about surgery on Son, a rescued cavy

K

keesey

Question about surgery on Son, a rescued cavy

Dear Teresa,
I was looking through the wonderful photos of your piggies. I read Son's story (and almost cried for the little guy, he's been through so much!). If I remember correctly, he had surgery on his chest area. Did this surgery intrude inside the rib cage or was the growth outside of it?

The reason I ask is that I have lost 3 piggies to benign tumors inside the rib cage that basically squeezed out the poor piggies' lungs. I was told that this is an inoperable area for cavies, since it is not possible to intubate them because the lungs are so small. I have no guineas now, but just wanted to know for future use.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Question about surgery on Son, a rescued cavy

I think it was below the chest area. The vet did have to go in through some muscle which complicated it. It was a messy/difficult surgery according to the vet. But I don't remember him mentioning the ribs.

Last update, Son is doing great at a new home with special love and attention at Salisa's rescue in Indiana.

K

keesey

Re: Question about surgery on Son, a rescued cavy

Yeah! I'm really glad Son is not only doing well but found a home. (I was kinda afraid to ask, so thanks for telling us.) Go Son, go!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.