Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Hay poke infection and her friend

Sso16

Cavy Gazer
Hi I have two female Guineas, Luna and midnight. Last night I noticed Midnight had a white eye with red surrounding it, I took her to the emergency vets staight away and they removed a really long strand of hay from her eye - it was heartbreaking she was crying even with the eye anaesthetic. Her eye is in really bad shape I went to my vet today and she said she might lose the eye. She's only 2 sets of eye drops Isathal and Lubrithal. Also orally given baytril and metacam with her greens. I was just wondering if there is anything else I can do to make it less likely she'll lose her eye? Also they are only about 8months old and still seem to be establishing who is dominant, do you think they should be separated? Luna does push her around and knocks her out of any hideaway she is in.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, don't separate them. But if the hideys have only door, take them out. You can substitute upside down cardboard boxes with holes cut in every side so she won't get trapped.

That looks like a pet store cage? If so, it's not large enough for two pigs.

Sso16

Cavy Gazer
I brought the cage online - it was meant to be a play pen 😊 I can get another if it's not big enough though

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How big is each one of those squares?

You've also got way too much stuff in there. Guinea pigs need room to run. It's one of the most important things they can do to keep them from developing bladder stones.

Sso16

Cavy Gazer
62cm X 62cm and there is 8 of the squares. Oh really? �� Sorry I just lovely giving them things perhaps it's too much I'll take somethings out

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's equivalent to a 2x4 C&C cage. It's the bare minimum for two pigs.

Sso16

Cavy Gazer
I don't think so, C&c grids are only 36cm (14") mine are 62cm (24"), it's really big. It might not look so from the pictures but it is. I can make it bigger and buy another but it is a large cage.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You're right. I was doing three things at once when I did the math. My bad.

Sso16

Cavy Gazer
It's all good �� I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond - it's really cool that you want to make sure guinea pigs have the best life. Years ago, I previously bought a pet shop cage for my bunny but luckily people like you showed me how terrible they are for any animal

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.