Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Getting Along Pigs Will Never Get Along?! ;(

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
I have two boys, one of them is younger and one of them is older.
I did the neutral space, they had a whole room to wander around in yet they decide to teeth chatter and when they go near each other they hiss.
Distractions like food work really well because they absolutely adore food.
I'm really upset that it's possible they will never bond, every time they are put together in bonding sessions they fight.
I don't know what to do because I don't want to lose either of them because they both have the most adorable qualities.
At the moment they are living in a split c&c cage but even then when they come up to each other through the bars they hiss and teeth chatter.
I don't know what to do. They both want to be dominant. Would a 3rd pig help?
Please help :(
Charlotte

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
What do you mean by 'fight'? Do they draw blood? If they have never drawn blood or injured eachother then they shouldn't have been separated. Hissing and teeth chattering is NORMAL. This is how they try to decide their ranks. They need to be introduced properly by following this guide as closely as possible: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html Keep them in the neutral space and watch them for a long time until they settle down. It can take hours. Don't separate them unless they draw blood.

Try again, put them in a neutral space, follow the websites instructions, do not interfere if they hiss or mount, teeth chatter or rumble strut. This is all crucial. Eventually they should start to tire out and lay down. At this point put them in the clean prepared cage which should be no smaller than a 2x5 c and c cage. They'd probably start up again with the dominance behaviours, but don't worry. Let them work it out.

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
2x4 grids.
One of the pigs is from the RSPCA and his age is unknown but he is a full grown pig so I estimated he's probably 2 or 3.
The younger one is from a friend cause she had too many pigs and he is about 3 months old.
I thought it would work because the older one would obviously be dominant but the younger one will not agree and also wants to be dominant and I think this is the problem.

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
Well today they had a fight and one of the pigs had hair in his mouth afterwards so I thought it was time to separate. Will a third pig do anything or make things worse?

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I truly think that your pigs can work it out and become buddies. Don't give up just yet. Perhaps give them both a bath before you try introductions again. 2x4 is a little small for two boars as they need more space than sows. A bigger cage will also definitely prevent arguments. I would look into expanding to at least a 2x5 or 2x6. Bigger is better.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
2x4 grids.
One of the pigs is from the RSPCA and his age is unknown but he is a full grown pig so I estimated he's probably 2 or 3.
The younger one is from a friend cause she had too many pigs and he is about 3 months old.
I thought it would work because the older one would obviously be dominant but the younger one will not agree and also wants to be dominant and I think this is the problem.

That is your problem. 2X4 is too small for two males. Males are more territorial than females and need more space. They haven't drawn blood, remove the divider, expand the cage. Do proper introductions this time. They will be fine.

Don't separate simply because they have a scuffle. That's all part of establishing dominance. Unless there is blood drawn, let them do their thing.

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
I tried the bath thing, they were worried and cuddled for half a second before one of them started to teeth chatter. I'm working on expanding at the moment but we just ordered one I think

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Don't worry about the teeth chattering. My boys are bonded and they still teeth chatter, mount and rumble strut at each other. It's normal, expect to see a lot more of it.

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks so much.
What if after an hour or so there is still teeth chattering or still aggressiveness??

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!
It's just so worrying seeing this behavior and it's non stop. The only time they have stopped is when they are eating and sleeping.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Yep, totally fine. My boys will argue like that over a bowl of food, a hidey house, or just simply to say 'get out of my way'.

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
Oh this is wonderful news! Thank you so much.
I thought I would have to lose one of my boys and I couldn't deal with that.
I'll try to re-introduce without any interruption tomorrow.
They haven't mounted yet though and I'm not looking forward to it [emoji30]

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
So sorry your having difficulties with your boys. Hope things settle down soon for you and them...

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Try putting a divider in the cage for a week so they can chat but not come into contact with each other thats what i did when i first put the pigs in a cage together

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Putting a dividor in the cage sounds like a good idea...
Willallow the pigs to smell each other and get use to each other with out stressing iether pig...

MiloThePiggy

Cavy Slave
Thank you. It's very scary :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The recommendations to put a divider in the cage are misguided. If you've separated them, reintroduce them using these instructions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. Then let them alone to work it out. You're only slowing down the adjustment process by separating them when they're not actually fighting, and you may wind up with two pigs who won't live together at all if you don't stop.

They going to nip and chase and rumble and mount and squabble, and you'll just have to let them. It's all part of the adjustment process. If one of them is frankly bleeding (running blood, not just a scratch), then you can worry about separation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.