0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Question Is this a good enough cage?!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14317991?w...935249&veh=sem

thinking of getting this cage for pigs, It doesn't have a top but I will have to figure out how to get a top grid for it, or i can get another cage with a top.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    532 Rec'd/424 Posts

Re: Is this a good enough cage?!

The Midwest cage does meet the minimum size requires, however, if you have pigs that are not already bonded or you have boars, I would build a larger C&C. Alternatively you could buy two of these and connect them together but it would probably be cheaper to build your own C&C.

Also, you can buy this cage off of amazon and one version comes with a lid or you can buy this lid separately.

Just the cage:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001NJ...39Q&th=1&psc=1

Cage with lid: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001NJ...39Q&th=1&psc=1

Just the lid: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001NJ...8eL&ref=plSrch

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

You can also get the materials and make your own cage. See the Main tab at the top of this page for instructions. Or, if you like the C&C cages and want to buy a kit, try http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com.

The cage you linked to is small for two sows, and way too small for two boars.

Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,342 Rec'd/1,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you'd like to build your own C&C cage, see this link for materials. It will be much cheaper per sq.ft. to build your own.
    https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum...cage-materials

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/12 Posts

I really think it depends on where you live if it's cheaper to build your own CC cage. I just paid $200 to build a 2x4.

Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts

You can get a box of 21 grids for $20 from Sears and a sheet of coroplast for $15-$30 from a sign shop (depending on where you live). Do you need a top to keep dogs or cats out? Wire closet shelving is a great lid for C&C cages, and it's pretty inexpensive at Home Depot.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

@Omgitspink, where on earth do you live that it cost you that much to build a cage?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/12 Posts

Canada. Ppl may have built one cheaper from here, but I couldn't find anywhere with the materials cheaper! Lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/12 Posts

Oh, shoot. Nevermind. I just realized it cost me that much because I built it on top of a rabbit cage. Still would have been over a hundred dollars though.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

I was wondering. You can buy enough grids for a cage at a Canadian Walmart for less than $50. There are Sabic Polymershapes stores in several areas in Canada, but you don't actually have to have coroplast -- a shower curtain will do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    I was wondering. You can buy enough grids for a cage at a Canadian Walmart for less than $50. There are Sabic Polymershapes stores in several areas in Canada, but you don't actually have to have coroplast -- a shower curtain will do.
    The walmarts I checked didn't have enough grids in one pack unless I went without a floor. $50 for a box of 16 grids. I bought three for the cage I made. But yeah, if you just wanted a frame you can get the grids for a bit cheaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    9 Rec'd/7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Omgitspink View Post
    I really think it depends on where you live if it's cheaper to build your own CC cage. I just paid $200 to build a 2x4.
    Here in Kauai it costs $45 for a box of 17 grids, so I would have needed 2 boxes for my 2x4 with lid. I wouldn't have been able to get the color of coroplast here that I wanted & the 2 metal center bars for the lid would cost extra--much more than on the mainland. So I ordered from the cages store & got one shipped here for a total of $206. The shipping was almost as much as the cage. I'm glad I did though because the color was important to me since the cage is a huge part of my living room.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    532 Rec'd/424 Posts

Prices in Ontario, Canada are pretty inflated right now, but no where near a 2x4 costing $200, at least where I live (I don't know where in Canada you're located).

You can get 16 grids for $35 from Canadian tire, 18 grids from bed bath and beyond for $27 or 23 grids for around $50 off of amazon.ca.

Coroplast can be found in 4x8 sheets at home Depot for $30. Or check out plastic stores. I bought my 4x8 sheets from P&A plastics for $12 each.

Also, check your make sure the grids you bought at a Canadian Walmart are the safe ones with 9x9 squares. From what I know, Ontario walmarts no longer carry the safe grids.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    21 Rec'd/12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    Prices in Ontario, Canada are pretty inflated right now, but no where near a 2x4 costing $200, at least where I live (I don't know where in Canada you're located).

You can get 16 grids for $35 from Canadian tire, 18 grids from bed bath and beyond for $27 or 23 grids for around $50 off of amazon.ca.

Coroplast can be found in 4x8 sheets at home Depot for $30. Or check out plastic stores. I bought my 4x8 sheets from P&A plastics for $12 each.

Also, check your make sure the grids you bought at a Canadian Walmart are the safe ones with 9x9 squares. From what I know, Ontario walmarts no longer carry the safe grids.
    I corrected myself. The cage I made is half a rabbit cage. But Canadian tire sells boxes of grids for $46 not $30. I bought three boxes from Canadian tire. I checked Walmart but didn't buy there. Yes home depot has the massive sheets, but won't cut for you. I can't fit a giant sheet like that in my car. I got two sheets or coroplast cut for me for $30.

User Tag List