Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury I Dropped My Guinea Pig

EmilyAndPickles

Cavy Gazer
Hi ok I'm really new here, and this LITERALLY just happened.

Pickles, my one year old Guinea, was playing in my room and I was watching her. I wanted to pick her up, and she started running from me and I caught her. I picked her up with two hands, and she ran out of my grip (which has never happened before) and she fell head first on my hardwood floor. She immediately ran off again and I picked her up and her lip was bleeding. I checked her teeth and they're ok, I squeezed her legs and little feets and she didn't scream or anything and I squeezed around her ribs and head and everything seemed ok. Her lip is scabbing over and she ate a strawberry and started running around again.

I was just wondering if she's going to be alright?!? She is acting totally normal, I just didn't know if anybody had any like tips or something on making sure that she recovers well??? I just don't want her to suddenly DIE or something, ya know?

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Id watch her and if you notice anything wrong take her to the vet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Watch her carefully. Look for inability to eat, limping, sitting puffed up in pain. Check to make sure she's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally, and that her poops are a normal shape.

Check her teeth daily -- they may fall out. If she can't pick up her food, cut it in matchstick slivers and poke it into her mouth to her molars. The front teeth are for tearing and picking things up, the molars for chewing and grinding. Even if her teeth are injured, they grow quickly.

EmilyAndPickles

Cavy Gazer
Watch her carefully. Look for inability to eat, limping, sitting puffed up in pain. Check to make sure she's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally, and that her poops are a normal shape.

Check her teeth daily -- they may fall out. If she can't pick up her food, cut it in matchstick slivers and poke it into her mouth to her molars. The front teeth are for tearing and picking things up, the molars for chewing and grinding. Even if her teeth are injured, they grow quickly.

Ok, if her teeth fall out, they grow back??

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
they will grow back, guinea pigs teeth never stop growing

EmilyAndPickles

Cavy Gazer
ok cool cool!! thanks for the help. Really eased my anxiety about it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, it depends. Usually they do. But if the root is damaged, sometimes they don't. Just keep your fingers crossed that they 1) don't fall out, or 2) grow back in if they do.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.