Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Bonding Father and Son

NDarling23

Cavy Slave
I have been reading some threads on putting baby males with their father and I wanted to try to get more tips and advice on the matter because the thread I read was from '06 I believe. I have a currently pregnant female guinea pig (I did NOT breed her intentionally I was told she was a boy) and I have already removed my boy from the cage. I've now had the agonizing decision of which one I was going to keep. I bonded with the boy almost instantly and I consider him to be incredibly tame. He is the one I will be keeping (as long as there is at least one male baby).

I know that they should be kept with mom until they are 21 days hold (females 28 days) what I want to know is should I introduce on neutral territory? Or will they be ok because they are babies? I figured I would clean his cage maybe rearrange it and then put dad and male babies all in together. Also, with keeping dad and a boy should I make the cage bigger to hopefully always keep peace between the two. I currently have a 2x4 c&c for both mom and dad. Any and all help is appreciated!

They'll probably be ok because they're babies, but it sure wouldn't hurt to introduce them on neutral ground and then put them in a cleaned cage.

The 2x4 should be ok for the dad and a baby, but I'd want to enlarge it before the pup hit puberty.

Yes, you will still need to do introductions on neutral territory. You won't have to separate the female babies at all until you find them homes, though. The purpose of separating the boys is so they don't get the girls pregnant.
A 2x4 might work for the dad and a baby, but boys generally need more space than females. If you can expand, I would.
I hope I helped!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.