Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Best Bedding?

Pixelwave

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

I am new to Guinea pigs but have done my homework. My current bedding is Carefresh paper bedding. It's absorbent and it works. I haven't noticed my pigs chewing at it or eating it. What's the best bedding in your opinion

im also noticing this bedding is tough to spot clean poop. It often gets lost in the bedding and is a pain to clean out.

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Quite a few of us prefer wood pellets with a layer of fleece over the top. It's by far the cheapest bedding you can use, and the best at odor control.

khw10

Cavy Slave
I personally use hay as its soft and they enjoy nibbling at it and i has very little dust (Good quality) hope this helps :D

Pixelwave

Cavy Gazer
Well, I love fleece, with U-haul pads as an absorbent layer.
Read more about fleece here: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/21568-The-Fleece-Project-The-Study
And remember, you don't have to spot clean papaer bedding like you do fleece! :) Just take out the soiled bedding, and the poops that get buried can stay there :)

Really? Okay that makes me feel better. I get worried about my little guys walking in their own poop while I'm at work. Is it okay to do one full clean once a week? Also, how much bedding is the proper amount? My cage has a pretty deep tray and I wonder if I'm using too much or too little.

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Really? Okay that makes me feel better. I get worried about my little guys walking in their own poop while I'm at work. Is it okay to do one full clean once a week? Also, how much bedding is the proper amount? My cage has a pretty deep tray and I wonder if I'm using too much or too little.

Usually one full cage clean per week is sufficient for 2 pigs, and that even doesn't take more than an hour depending how thorough you are. I just sweep and vacuum then throw all the fleece and uhaul in the wAsh, dump and refill the litter tray, wipe down the coroplast with a water/vinegar solution, change water, put my other set of fleece in and I'm done. It takes me about an hour or so to do everything, and I have a bit bigger than a 2x3 c and c. For the rest of the week a quick sweep and vacuuming of the fleece once a day works for me. I found when I had shavings as bedding, it took me soooo much longer to just spot clean, and it was an awful mess and terrible for my carpet. So I switched to fleece, and though it can smell after a bit, I still prefer it ten times over to shavings. A lot of people do the wood pellet with fleece thing too, as you don't have to fully clean out the pellets very often, and when wet the pellets just turn into dust that can be mixed in and out of sight.
You say you have a deep tray in your cage. What kind of cage do you have? How big is it? Size makes a huge difference on how often it needs to be cleaned, as bigger cages are so much easier to clean despite how strange that sounds.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
I also prefer fleece with U-Haul underneath in my main area and a kitchen that has wood pellets for litter. I've tried lots of combinations and have found this is the easiest and quickest for me to clean. I also have a pretty bare cage (no hideys, tunnels, nothing) because I just did introductions and removing all the stuff seems to keep them from fighting. Added bonus, I've found this makes it faster to clean because I'm not moving things around to sweep. Here's my routine:

-Spot clean twice daily, takes 5 minutes or less (sweep poops with a small broom and dustpan).
-Change fleece twice a week, takes 10 minutes (sweep poops, take out the fleece liner, sweep any stray poops or hays that got on to the coroplast, put in the new liner, put dirty one in the washing machine)
-clean water bottles & pellet dishes once a week, takes 15 minutes (a good scrubbing with soapy water and bottle brushes)
-refresh wood pellets as needed, takes 10 minutes (scoop out any nasty spots, stir them around, add more if getting low)

It seems that everybody finds a different set up that works for them. So keep experimenting until you find the one that works for you!

pawner69

Cavy Slave
First I used wood shavings. They were so messy and really bothered my dust allergies.

Then I tried Carefresh. Which I loved but in a 2x4 cage it got very expensive.

So then I did fleece/uhaul made into a large liner that covered the cage. I also LOVED the fleece/uhaul. Sweep twice a day and totally change out once a week. However I didn't like dealing with the large fleece/uhauls to wash and dry.

SOOO then I used flippers which are sold in the cage store. I have been using those for years and LOVE them. Easy to clean and work with and also to wash and dry.

Recently I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia so I needed something that didn't take so much care every week. Plus I have rescued a few new pigs and increased my cage to a 2x7 with a 2x2 kitchen. So again...making a switch.

This weekend I moved to the wood pellets and fleece over top. So far my pigs are happy as little clams. I am still learning to sweep the looser fleece but its going to be so much less care for me personally.

As you can see....sometimes it takes some trial and error to find what works best for you. As long as your pigs are kept clean you will be just fine with whatever you choose.

Good luck!!!! [emoji7]

Pixelwave

Cavy Gazer
Where do you purchase fleece? Are there any other acceptable materials? I have a plush type throw which would make for a nice soft bedding but idk if the material would be harmful.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece is about the only one that works well, because it wicks moisture through and keeps their feet dry, and it doesn't ravel, so it poses no danger of them swallowing threads and getting an intestinal blockage.

There's another that some people have been able to get to work, others not, and it doesn't come in nearly the cute colors and prints that fleece does. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but @lissie will know.

lissie

Cavy Slave
There's another that some people have been able to get to work, others not, and it doesn't come in nearly the cute colors and prints that fleece does. I can't remember the name of it at the moment, but @lissie will know.

Sorry I just saw this. Did you mean Suedecloth?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, I did, and I tried to find this thread and add the name of the cloth after I remembered it, but couldn't find it. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.