Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Female Guinea Pig with swollen bottom

ButterToffee

Cavy Gazer
I'm very sorry my first post was a question yikes but I really needed to find an answer before I take my piggy to the vet tomorrow.

To give a bit of background I have to two sows, active, eat healthy, and get everything recommended daily. The pig I am worried about (butterscotch is her name) has had skin problems/ hair loss ever since I first adopted her. We believe she is about 4 or 5 years old now. She is also a long haired piggy.

I was cleaning their cage today and noticed some matted hair and other stuff down by her bottom which tends to happen a lot if I'm being honest. I thought I would clean her up and then take care of the cage but as I wiped her it started to pull away at clumps of hair revealing a very swollen private area. Her poo is much more oblong too it seems and she isn't pooing as much. She still eats and drinks a lot except for her pellets which she won't even take from hand. I'm very worried because I don't know what is happening or how they would treat something like this because it doesn't seem like a normal absess or anything.

If there is any advice you have, or might know what this is please don't hesitate to comment! Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She could have a urinary tract or reproductive tract infection. A stone in the urethra could also cause that. She needs to see an exotic vet ASAP to be evaluated.

You need to keep her bottom clean. That will help prevent UTIs. I had a long haired pig and I kept her bottom and skirts trimmed very short.

ButterToffee

Cavy Gazer
I wondered about that but she isn't peeing blood from what I've seen

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not guaranteed that she'll pee blood. But whatever it is isn't normal, and isn't fixable without a vet. She's undoubtedly in pain, and needs meds.

ButterToffee

Cavy Gazer
Oh no of course! I wasn't trying to say she didn't need a vet or anything :/ as a matter of fact I am taking her today and have already upped her vitamin C intake and given her a little unsweetened cranberry juice in case you are right.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cranberry juice won't do anything for an established UTI, and in herbivores, will do nothing anyway. The idea behind cranberry juice is to acidify the urine. But herbivore urine is normally basic, not acidic. You'd have to pour cranberry juice down the throat with a pipe to get enough in her to acidify the urine, and the whole time the body would be working to produce basic urine.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree with bpatters about keeping the hair trimmed on the longer haired guinea pigs. Also, it's a good idea to give your guinea pigs an all over check once a week. I do it when we are weighing them weekly. I run my hands over, looking for lumps scabs, check the nails, and do any trims that are needed.

Let us know what the vet says!

ButterToffee

Cavy Gazer
I took her to the vet and they told me it might have to still do with her skin condition. Plus they said she might have slight vaginitis so they gave me sulfatrim and a probiotic but it is for cats so I am going to get acidophilus tabs. I'm really hoping she get's better. I think I will definitely start trimming her hair from now on too. Thank you both for your advice!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Vaginitis? Interesting--I've never heard of a guinea pig with that, but I just did some research and it can be caused by shavings or bedding that becomes trapped in the vagina. The Sulfatrim is a good antibiotic for some things--if you don't notice an improvement you might want to try a different one. What's the dose?

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Good luck with your piggie. I have a long haired girl too. She is getting older now and doesn't move around like she used to so I actually shave her bottom with clippers and keep her hair very short around her back end. She is such a good girl too. I think it makes her feel better so she just totally relaxes while I am clipping her.

ButterToffee

Cavy Gazer
The vet has her on .1 mL every 12 hours.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Hmm, what's the concentration of the suspension? 0.1 ml is very low.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.