Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rehoming Moving overseas - Need advice

Aurory

Cavy Slave
Well, I recieved news a week or two ago that we're to be moving from New Zealand back to England - And we're bringing our furbabies. Problem is, i'm terrified to send my pigs as they may not live through the huge journey. On the other end my Nanna will be looking after them for a few weeks as we're travelling through different countries and stopping over in them, so carrying them onboard isn't an option (I dont think it was in the first place.) But I really want to know - Is it wise to send them? Any experiences? I know they dont get fed (Choking hazards) and they're still quite skitzy and don't do well with loud sounds and in heat (I lay icepacks for them to lie on in summer) and they're not used to not having fresh air daily (They go outside in their hutch during the day and cage inside night time) I really could use others opinions in the case, next week or sometime soon we will be seeking our vets advice on travelling with our animals. I have a slight decision in my mind that I will find a good new home or ask for a kind rehoming shelter for small animals to take them in so I can spare them the stress and fear. Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks!

PS: I'm moving in April-May

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Take them with you as you move

Aurory

Cavy Slave
I noted in the post I made - I can't. New Zealand to England with intervals inbetween with stop overs in different countries just doesnt allow it. If I send them with my other pets i'm scared they may die from heat or starvation or something else.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
Sorry I read fast and apparently just didn't see it

Aurory

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I personally wouldn't put guinea pigs through that trip. I'd spend the time before I left to find them a good home where they are, and then get more when I got re-settled. That's an enormously long flight for guinea pigs, who have to eat ALL the time to stay healthy. The risk just seems too great, to me.

Aurory

Cavy Slave
My mum and I were looking at female piggies in shelters nearby where we're moving, currently i'm trying to tame them more so they're more appealing for adoption when I give them over so they can find a good home. I appreciate your opinion :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The user @RodentCuddles runs a GP rescue in New Zealand, somewhere around Auckland, I think. You might PM her and see if she can help you place them.

Aurory

Cavy Slave
Yeah initially we were planning to see if she could take them in and find them a good home since we're situated in Auckland. Hopefully she can take them in

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.