Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage I made a cage with cardboard

joeyandrufus

Cavy Slave
I am from India and finding a cage is really tough here (the one suitable for guinea pigs) i found big cages but they very inconvenient. the good cages are expensive but that wouldn't have been a problem but they are really small. and i cannot order from out of country websites.C&C stuff arent available here.
so I made a huge cage with cardboard. everything seems fine. they love it. the first layer is three layers of plastic(so that the cardboard doesnt get soggy). then its the bedding that i use.They dont come in contact with the plastic its impossible to chew.they have two floors(ground floor and kitchen). they have a big running space. A home(i fixed the cardboard in a way that it resulted in a home like structure which is covered with the second floor).Second floor is removal too.they have hiding places and chew toys. They have started popcorning alot. they popcorn all the time.
its well-ventilated.
so is it all good then? right?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's OK as long as the cardboard hasn't come into contact with any pesticides or poisons, and as long as you're prepared for them to eat the cage. :)

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
It sounds like you are all good. If you are handy you may be able to get some guinea pig safe wood and build a cage like that, or else maybe some clear plastic, but as long as you make sure they do not chew the cardboard and escape free a cardboard cage is perfectly fine. I'm glad your piggies are happy!

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
Coroplast in india is known as Sunpak board. You will be able to find it at stores which sell acrylic and plastic materials. It is possible to make a cage without the storage cubes if you make the coroplast walls a little higher. However, you will have to watch out for pigs who try to escape as there will be no grids.

If your cardboard is holding up and you have waterproofed your cage, I see no reason to change it, though. :)

joeyandrufus

Cavy Slave
@bpatters The cardboards hasn't.
and was that sarcasm? cuz they dont eat cardboard. they have many stuff to chew on so. :3

joeyandrufus

Cavy Slave
omg thanks @Cavylier
mine ones escape..my guinea pigs jump really high. and are very flexible n fast.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
was that sarcasm? cuz they dont eat cardboard.

They will. Give 'em time.

Sunrise

Cavy Slave
It'll work for awhile and buy you some time while you look for materials for the next time you'll have to reconstruct it. I'm curious - you mentioned 3 layers of plastic. Do you mean thin plastic like plastic bag material? Eventually it might have to be changed also.

I think it's really great that you are going against the odds, daring to be creative and caring for these guinea pigs even when resources are scarce where you are.

chetanshah

Cavy Slave
Namaste!
Glad to know there are other people like me who are Indians and love these lovely little creatures
Its sad that we dont have much exposure to Guinea Pigs :(

Havign said that,
I am an Indian but in South Africa, another country where its hard to find C&C materials.
This is what I did:
Get a carpeterner and show him the cage picture, they will build it for u with wooden frame and wire mesh and inside you can use cardboard or coroplast.
This is just an option as the cardboard cage is really hard to move.

I also had cardboard cage for quite somethmg but moving it is really a mission hence I am building my own cage here with wood and wiremesh.

Also I am curious about Hay and Pellets as I know its quite hard to find that as well.

how many piggies do you have?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.