Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet I dont trust the medicine given by my vet

joeyandrufus

Cavy Slave
I bought two baby guinea pigs two weeks ago. today they turn 23 days old. last week i noticed they were scratching alot. i called my vet. he checked and gave them a vitamin c medicine(liquid). I didn't trust that but I fed them anyway. they didnt seem to like it so i used to make a treat. i used to put a drop on a spinach leaf,roll it and cover it with water spinach leaf.(i used to make sure if they ate it and that one doesnt eat the other one's) they loved it that way.they got really well within 2 days. they were not itching anymore. last night i bought them new bedding ( you can read about it on my last post) and pellets(read about it on my last post. you'll understand) and they have started itching again. ALOT. i couldnt feed them the medicine last night since the treat i make wasn't available(it got stale due to powercut) so i didn't feed them. I dont know what to do. they are very itchy again. my vet says to give them a sponge bath. and the water should be lukewarm with crushed neem leaves. help me!
and i dont know how to update my old threat and reply without quoting (liek hwo can i tag a person so that they know i replied,thanks)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Likely they have mites. Vitamin C won't do a thing for mites. Unfortunately, they're too young to be treated with ivermectin. You need to see if you can find some kitten Revolution, which is selamectin. Google it to see whether it's called something different in your country or if you need a prescription for it. It requires a prescription in the U.S., but not in Australia, so the regulations are not the same worldwide.

To tag someone, just put an ampersand (@) in front of their name. No spaces.

joeyandrufus

Cavy Slave
okay..thanks alot @bpatters!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Bpatters is right, but I wanted to add: If you do decide to give them a light sponge bath, be careful not to get any water in their ears and keep them warm while they dry off.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
From what I know (correct me if I am wrong), baths are not good to give at all when they have mites because it dries their skin, making it more irritated. bpatters gave you all the info for treatment. Good luck, and let us know how they are! :)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
@Piggielove2013 I've never heard that but then, none of my guinea pigs has ever had mites. I'll do more research on that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the deal on pigs and mites. DON'T bathe them if you suspect mites. The water makes the mites crazy, and they burrow like mad. This in turn makes the pig crazy, and can even induce seizures if the mite infestation is bad enough.

If your pig has something on it that you need to get off, take a damp cloth and wipe the fur. Don't get water on the skin.

Is this the only vet you've got available?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.