Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Need some input on a Coro alternative!

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Okay, for some background info: I have 4 piggies. 2 males, Benny and Spencer and 2 females, mother and daughter, Judy and Liza. The boys were in a 3x4, but I had to separate due to some aggression on Spencers side, he's our newest family member, so each boy is currently, and I hope, temporarily, in a 2x3. The girls are together in a 2x3. They seem to do fine with the arrangement, but I'm trying to think of a way to give all pigs more space without buying more supplies. (I have recently aquired most of these pigs and have wreaked havoc on our budget with cage expansion and so forth and the husband wouldn't be happy with spending any more lol)

So, I was wondering what everyone thought of a vinyl tablecloth with flannel back in lieu of Coro or a shower curtain for the bottom of a cage?

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I've used the shower curtain and grids setup as a temporary arrangement, mostly during hotel stays. It did the job, but I wouldn't want to use it full-time because cleaning was a lot more difficult. Poop would get caught all around the bottom of the grids and would get kicked out easily since there was no coro to prevent it. I know some people use that setup and it works for them, but I couldn't do it.

I was thinking of trying to get it up and around the bottom of the cage almost in the way coro has sides? If that makes any sense? I have a top on the cages already and I was going the the girls on top with particle board as the bottom of their cage with the table cover for protection and barrier.

MyraMidnight

Cavy Slave
I used plastic table covers once for my cage (think it was vinyl), but discovered my piggies loved to tear it apart if they had access to any edges covered with it, even if it was just a fold that created a ridge, they'd chew it all up so I removed it all. The cover itself was probably very interestingly soft and fun to chew on x.x but I didn't want it to end up in their belly.

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can use a shower curtain under the grids and fleece that extends up and over all sides. You can sew pieces together if they're not large enough. They hold together really well and don't unravel. Add smaller pieces of fleece under pigloos or where they mainly poop so it'll be easy to just lift those up and shake them out instead of having to clean up the whole cage all the time. I have half cage fleece and half bedding but use the smaller pieces of fleece in certain areas. It works really well for me.

MyraMidnight

Cavy Slave
Vinyl floor covering is probably better (linoleum?), its stiffer than table covers. But I have no idea if thats actually cheaper or not than getting hands on a sheet of coroplast from advertising companies/providers.

mamaduck71

Cavy Slave
I have been picking up old signs around the neighborhood street corners. Older signs that have fell down or the event has passed. Some could be very large 24"x 20" like this one.
(broken link removed)

I washed them up really good and duct taped them together. All this is under my multi layers of bedding/fleece and so far Pudge does not care. Did not pay a penny for them. I asked around the hood too if anyone has some.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.