Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Up and down days for a 6 yr old

Pinny Gig

Cavy Slave
So my piggie Hale is roughly about 6-6.5 yrs old. She's got some medical issues such as disc calcification/arthritis and GI issues. The arthritis is being treated daily with Metacam and the GI issues with Metoclopramide. We also have a stubborn mite infestation and after Ivermictin proved futile she's on Revolution.

I've read here that 6 isn't really that old for a guinea pig. I'm also aware they slow down and drop a little weight when they age which has happened. On some days she's pretty good, feisty and food-driven. She sleeps a bit more.

On other days she doesn't react as quickly to food (possibly due to cataracts) and she seems slower than usual. She'll look disheveled and a touch lethargic. Then the next day or even later in the evening she'll perk up again, pretty much back to normal, and alert.

Is this typical of an aging guinea pig? She's eating well and drinking plenty and she will explore a lot during floortime. I'm worried about the ups and downs.

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Totally typical. You might want to supplement her with vitamin C. Their digestive tracts become less effective as they grow older, and the seniors seem to do better with some extra C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.