Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Bottle raising kittens

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
It's pretty hard to photograph kittens that won't sit still, so these aren't the best, but they're still adorable :love:
Bottle raising kittensBottle raising kittens

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
Has anyone had any experience with using Terramycin on cats eyes? The kittens eyes ended up getting infected, and my dad went and talked to our vet and he gave my dad Terramycin.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
It's safe. The effects are usually apparent in a day or two. Just don't use enough so they can ingest it.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
They told my dad to use a tiny amount and do it once a day.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
Update on the kitties! They're 3 weeks old today. Since I'm only fostering I'm not naming them, but I have been calling them Thing One and Thing Two. Thing One is the gray one and Thing Two is the white one. Their eyes are a lot better and they're steadily gaining weight. Their personalities are really starting to show, too. Thing Two is a cuddle bug who loves to have her belly rubbed, and Thing One is feisty and always on the go. The last couple of days they've been fighting their feedings. Not the normal pawing that kittens do, but pushing the syringe/bottle out of their mouth and a lot of the milk ends up running out of their mouths. Could that mean that they're ready to start the weaning process? And of course, here are some pictures.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Thing 1 and Thing 2😂😂😂
That made me laugh after loosing Mocha. I hope they don't get to attached to those names lol

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit of a Dr. Seuss fan, and it just kind of fit. They probably won't. And I'm sorry to hear about Mocha. :sad:

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit of a Dr. Seuss fan, and it just kind of fit. They probably won't. And I'm sorry to hear about Mocha. :sad:
Yeah. Someone kept prying and learned Emmy ran her over but that was 2 months ago. They accused her of killing Mocha and said that I shouldn't get another pig. And I just can't bring myself to write her "In memory" post yet.

I am also a Dr. Seuss fan lol [emoji4]

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss :sad:

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss :sad:
Thanks.

Anyway I would totally take Thing 1 and Thing 2 off your hands but I got no more space lol

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I would love to keep them, but there a few reasons it probably won't happen. First, my cats don't seem to be too fond of them. I tried introducing them today and neither cat would come near them, Kat just sat and stared at them with a completely freaked out look on her face, and Priscilla hissed and growled at them. Second, my parents aren't big animal people, and I'm the reason we have almost all of our animals. Third, my mom has already said that if I keep them I can't foster any more babies. Since the shelter I volunteer at is so tiny, only 6 workers and I'm their only volunteer, the director, Susan, and I are the only ones able to take bottle babies home. Everyone else has kids and college. So I would like to be able to still foster babies for them, especially with Spring coming up. I'm already really attached, though, and dreading having to take them back to the shelter. They don't have good luck with getting cats adopted out. They have a couple cats there that have been there their whole lives.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I would love to keep them, but there a few reasons it probably won't happen. First, my cats don't seem to be too fond of them. I tried introducing them today and neither cat would come near them, Kat just sat and stared at them with a completely freaked out look on her face, and Priscilla hissed and growled at them. Second, my parents aren't big animal people, and I'm the reason we have almost all of our animals. Third, my mom has already said that if I keep them I can't foster any more babies. Since the shelter I volunteer at is so tiny, only 6 workers and I'm their only volunteer, the director, Susan, and I are the only ones able to take bottle babies home. Everyone else has kids and college. So I would like to be able to still foster babies for them, especially with Spring coming up. I'm already really attached, though, and dreading having to take them back to the shelter. They don't have good luck with getting cats adopted out. They have a couple cats there that have been there their whole lives.
Wow

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that was really long :rolleyes: Sorry.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy @plum22 @lunarminx Do any of you have any advice about them not wanting to eat? Do yall think it could be because they're ready to start the weaning process?

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy @plum22 @lunarminx Do any of you have any advice about them not wanting to eat? Do yall think it could be because they're ready to start the weaning process?
Probably.

PineShavings

Cavy Slave
When I had kittens I was bottle feeding, I always used a cotton ball dipped in warm water to get them to pee and poop, the cotton balls Imo are easier because they are disposable and you don't have to wash them if they get waste on them.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What are you feeding them? Are they suckling on other things (blanket, your fingers, etc)? About how much are they getting? Are you mixing it up as you go, or is it stored in the fridge?

Usually between three and four weeks is when you start getting them to lap up the milk replacer from a shallow bowl or dish, and then slowly mixing in some high quality canned food (chicken is best, no fish).

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I'm feeding them premixed Just Born formula. They get about 12cc's every 4 hours, I'll be moving them to every 6 hours soon. They suck on my fingers and shirt. They've been eating just fine for the past almost three weeks, its just yesterday and today the gray kitten will eat a little and then not want to eat anymore, but then as soon as I atop feeding her she starts rooting on me for food.The white kitten sucks the formula out off the syringe on her own. For their past couple feedings I've been feeding them some formula and then trying to get them to drink some off of a bowl lid. They haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but the white kitten will suck some of it off my fingers.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's possible the premixed stuff tastes different and the kitten doesn't want it. But since she's still trying to nurse and rooting on you, she's still hungry.

She might be sick. If she doesn't start eating soon she'll need to see a vet.

Chaylee

Cavy Slave
I've been feeding them the premixed stuff since I got them when they were 3 days old. She hasn't stopped eating altogether, and she's gained 3 grams since yesterday. Their average is between 7 and 10 a day, so it isn't a huge difference. But if she doesn't start eating better I will take her to the vet. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.