Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need tips on hanging new water bottle!

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
Hey, I just purchased (broken link removed) water bottle and it won't stay up. I'm really frustrated and don't know what to do. The bottle just pulls down through the spring and won't stay up. It was discounted at Pet Supplies Plus so I should have known better. :(

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
It wouldn't be pretty, but I'm sure you could make something work with rubber bands or hair ties and binder clips or paper clips if necessary.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Bungee cords are cheap and work very well.

HansPiggies

Cavy Slave
Have you put the spout through the bars as this wil stop it sliding down. Or do you have a wooden cage?

pinky

Cavy Slave
It took me forever to find a water bottle holder that would function for my cage. The grids around the loft are only 6 squares high which didn't permit most bottles to be positioned high enough. The holder pictured below is the one that works best for me. My husband did a small adaptation in that he drilled a hole through both of the upright pieces and put a short bolt through the hole. By tightening the back piece to the main part, it was secured in just the right place.

I bought mine at PetSmart. Almost any generic 16 oz. round bottle will fit it.

(broken link removed)

I use the metal bottle holders, too. They work great and the guinea pigs can't pull the bottle down.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
I use the metal bottle holders, too. They work great and the guinea pigs can't pull the bottle down.
I use those metal holders also. They are great!

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
Have you put the spout through the bars as this wil stop it sliding down. Or do you have a wooden cage?

Such a simple reply yet so helpful. I don't know why it did not occur to me to do this. I eventually figured out I could use one of the metal hangers the small bottles used and it worked okayish. I just changed the bottle to hang properly and my Kali went over and drank from it. All the pigs have ignored the bottle until now. Thank you and thank you to everyone else that posted ideas.

HansPiggies

Cavy Slave
Lol no worries sometimes the obvious isn't obvious until some one points it out! :p Glad you've got it sorted :)

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
If you're going to use bungie cords be ABSOLUTELY sure that the hook never dangles into the cage, loose. We had a horrible, freak accident a few years back with one of our rescue guinea pigs. We came home to find a beautiful young piggy dead with his intestines hanging out. Our best guess is that he somehow got hooked on the bungie cord. I have never used a bungie cord anywhere near our cages again. It was horrible and devastating to think that this was something that could have been prevented.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.