Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Odd Bump

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
So I received Coffee Bean as a gift yesterday and I didn't notice anything funny about her besides the fact that she's absolutely adorable. But today once I got home from work, my fiancee was having some bonding time with our new kid. And she told me she had felt a bump right on Coffee Bean's pelvic region. I checked it and sure enough it's a bump. It doesn't seem to hurt her or cause any discomfort. She just chirps and purrs at us which I take is her way of being happy. But I'm obviously not to sure. I used to have guinea pigs but none of them had this odd problem. I can't tell if it's a scar or a skin bump or a little mat ball. My fiancee and I decided that we should take her to the vet tomorrow morning to check it out plus do a general check up on her. Anyone else had this problem before???? I don't want to worry but it's really hard no to.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
I definitely can't get a close enough picture of the bump. My phone will just blur it. I'll try with my camera once I charge it. I think it's actually at mat or scab cause my fiancee says she was in a cage with a lot of other piggies. But she'll be going to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm reading the links you provided and they make me a little panicky. But they're great information just in case I'm wrong. Which I'm really hoping I'm not. If I had known I was getting a piggy I would have started a vet fund of her!!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where on her pelvic region? Back, or tummy? If it's the back, it's probably her grease gland.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
No it's like right on her side. It's not on her back nor on her tummy. It's just on her left side of her pelvic. Almost by her leg. I will take pictures and such so you can see, once my camera charges.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ok, that's a good idea.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
Odd Bump
I don't know if you can see it clearly but the bump is where my thumb is at. It's kinda flaky and hard. No lice or anything. And it doesn't hurt her, well at least it doesn't seem like it. That's why I'm starting to think it's a scab or something. What do you think???? Assuming you can see it on this picture. I know it isn't the best.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
If it's flaky, it could be ringworm.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
That thought was in my head too but when I was working at a veterinarian clinic (as a boarding attendant, not a nurse, so correct me if I'm wrong, please) signs of ring worms were circular, red, painful and itchy, and missing fur... Coffee Bean has neither of those symptoms... But I don't know... I'm trying not to worry until a vet actually sees her. But argh... the suspense is killing me. I'm looking through pictures of what it could be and reading stuff online with different diagnoses, the more I research the more I'm wishing I could just take the day off work and just take her to the vet myself.

But unless it's serious, I'll let my fiancee take her over and just keep me updated and I will make updates here.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
It's usually circular, but not always. Guinealynx has a great page about fungal infections.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
I appreciate the info. I'm reading through it right now.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It looks like a small lump, to me. Most likely a sebaceous cyst, but probably a good idea to get checked out.

I recommend adopting a companion for her. Guinea pigs need companionship of their own species to thrive.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Looks like a sebaceous cyst to me, too.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
Just came back from work. My fiancee updated me on what happened at the vet. It's a scab. One that's already drying out. So that's apparently what I have been feeling. I kinda figured it would hurt her if it was a scab tho... Is that me being overly worried?

And yes, Coffee Bean will be getting a new sister and a nice bigger cage soon. The cage should be here any day now. My fiancee and I have been on the look out for a sister. We want to make sure it's the right companion for her. We are working on it.

And yes, no pet store bought, no craigslist, etc. Lol. Just in case you're wondering. Lol.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
I think the closest shelter I have is San Mateo... Which is still pretty far away... I'll see what I can do. A road trip might be necessary. I want her to get along with her companion.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear it's just a scab and not something more serious. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. If it hurts her a lot you would notice a change in behaviour or maybe sounds of pain. So to me it just sounds like a minor injury. It also might be worth checking your cage, objects, or any toys you might have that could have caused it to avoid further injury.

As for adopting a new pig; if you haven't yet you'll want to make sure you're prepared to quarantine the new pig and read up on introduction tips which you can find information on here:

https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Quarantine
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

I also have to say that there's nothing wrong per say about being concerned for your pigs wellbeing in fact it's usually a great sign as I feel that too few people care enough. Guinea pigs are quite fragile at times so having concerns helps you to be on alert for any issues that might crop up.

That said, it helps to know when to actually be concerned and when something is minor or normal behaviour so that you don't worry yourself sick over every little thing and that's exactly the kind of thing you simply pick up through experience and research.

If you continue to read these forums, the guinea lynx, and cavy spirit websites you'll narrow down this stuff in time. Although that said, I still learn new things after all this time. They're simply fascinating creatures and there's certainly a lot to them in general.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the info. I know about quarantining and introducing the piggies. I used to have three of them. Lol. But now it's just little Coffee Bean. So I'm not really completely new on owning piggies. But I am a worrywart and tend to freak out over everything. But you're right about them being fascinating. I love having piggies and hearing their little happy noises. But I'll let you all know when that new cages gets here and when we have adopted a new piggy.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
So remember that scab on Coffee Bean that I was asking about earlier??? I noticed that it had gotten bigger today. CONSIDERABLY bigger. I freaked out and took her back to the vet. I know this vet pretty well since I used to take my other guinea pigs to her all the time and I was surprised that she was kinda dismissing me. I expressed my annoyance at her attitude and urged her to look at my piggy again. And when she finally took a good look at Coffee Bean and finally realized that her injury site was infected and she needed meds. I was happy to find what was wrong with my piggy but on the downside, I haven't saved up some vet funds for her since I just got her. So I had my fiancee tell me where she got her. And boo for her, apparently my Coffee Bean came from a Petco. :( My fiancee called Petco, got into a little bicker with them. End of story, Petco will be paying for all of Coffee Bean's medical expenses until she is all better, since apparently she had been injured while she was housed with another larger guinea pig. So Coffee Bean is stay over night at the vet's. I'm missing her terribly right now. But I'm happy that she'll finally be getting the meds and care she needs.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Since it's an abscess, it needs to be either removed surgically, or needs to be lanced and flushed out.

Good for you for making Petco pay. They need to be held accountable.

SpazticNerd

Cavy Slave
Now I'm freaking out. The vet wants to run some skin tests on Coffee Bean and those results won't be in until next week so they'll be keeping her until then. Apparently they found something else wrong with her that I hadn't noticed. I'm so worried right now. Petco called me and offered me another guinea pig but I don't want to do that. And I'm so attached to my little piggy. And I'm sure they just want to get out of paying for Coffee Bean's medical costs. I really wish my piggy was well and back home with us.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.