Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other One human year is equal to how much pig years?

miniver

Cavy Slave
I can't get the chart to work for me, so I don't know how thier math works but that can't be right. The closer the number is to 1, the closer the life spans. We would have 60 year old guinea pigs running around out there. :eek:hmy:

If a human lives 80 years and a guinea pig lives 5 years, then the ratio is 1 to 0.0625 (5 / 80).

If you are 20 years old, you are the equivalent of a 1.25 year old guinea pig, or 1 year and 3 months. ( 20 x 0.625 )
If your guinea pig is 2 years old, they are 32 years in human terms. ( 2 / 0.0625)

Ooooh, algrebra. I bet my grade school math teacher never thought I would use it for this!

Fay

Cavy Slave
I think it makes more sense to use the upper end to calculate the pigs age so 10 would be 100 in human years. I'd estimate 1 human year is about 10 guinea pig years. Plenty of people die in their 50's so it makes sense that 5 guinea pig years would be about 50 in human years and most healthy pigs will live in between 50 - 70 human years which would be about right for a well cared for pig without underlying genetic issues.

I think the reason why guinea pigs die relatively young in comparison to the human 70 - 90 is completely down to our advanced knowledge of human health. We don't understand nearly as much about guinea pig health, genes, and biology and there aren't as many medications and treatments developed or widely available for guinea pigs either. Humans used to die much younger due to the lack of medical knowledge and inadequate care at the time. I bet if we had the same level of care available to guinea pigs as we do for humans they would probably more often live to be 7 - 9 years.

That's just my rough estimate/opinion, I could be wrong.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It wouldn't make much sense to try to compare human age to guinea pig age since the lifespans are so vastly different. To put it in perspective, a guinea pig gestation period is long. So guinea pigs are born with fur, eyes open, ready to run & eat. This puts them far beyond animals like hamsters or even kittens who are born with eyes closed. On the flipside, a guinea pig is considered an adult at 6 months old. So legally, that might be 18 years old in humans. Also, the average lifespan of a guinea pig is 5-7 years so that might equate to 85 - 90 years old in humans (although even that is changing these days).

miniver

Cavy Slave
It is a silly exercise. It's the same as referring to "dog years". But, what's life without some "silly" :eek:
At some point, if I do the math, my girls will be the same age as me. I think I'll have a combined birthday party that year. Cake for me, carrots for them!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I never take these things as a serious attempt to compare as you just simply can't compare the two properly but it's still fun trying to guess how old they would be in human years :eek:.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You can line the ages up if you want but it's a rather pointless comparison and developmentally it isn't so equal. A 1 year old guinea pig is not the same maturity as a 10 year old child. At 1 year guinea pigs are pretty much fully grown and have been capable of breeding for 8 months or possibly more. If you go by maturity a 1 year old guinea pig is more like a 20 year old person. 2 years is not equal to 40 human years though. The difference increases slower after that. I think that's a far more interesting way to try to compare ages of animals.

cavy_love25

Cavy Slave
I saw a line graph about this somewhere... I don't remember if it was here or not. If I find it, I'll link.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.