Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags I'm pretty sure this is a breeder. Please flag

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

What makes you think this person is a breeder? I don't see it IMO. If you are going to flag this post, you mine as well flag them all then.

The fact that they have quite a few pigs for sale, are marketing them as Christmas gifts, and aren't selling the cages all point to them being breeders.

I don't think there is sturdy enough evidence to flag. For all we know, they're a in home rescue (explains quite a few pigs, not giving away the cages), they took in pregnant guinea pigs and are trying to rehome the babies, or had accidental pregnancies. The only thing that is making me maybe think breeder is 'Christmas gifts', but if they weren't expecting babies (for example, bought two pregnant guinea pigs unknown), I can see them trying to get rid of them fast and cheap. I don't think a breeder would sell their 'stock' for just $10. I had a litter of pups (adopted mom from a rescue, unknowingly pregnant) and a litter is very expensive. Definitely more expensive than $10 a pop, at least in my experience.

If they were a in home rescue they would say so (or at should so they aren't going against the sites rules) and MANY breeders sell each pup for 10$ because there are MANY "breeders" who breed, just because they can. They like the experience of cute pups more so than the cash. Also most people don't think of guinea pigs as an expensive animal so they probably think no one will buy them if they are more than ten. It's pretty easy to tell if they breed their guinea pigs, because most of the time they'll just tell you they do if you ask.

However with this specific ad, I don't think they are breeders because she said "rehoming". Doesn't look like a breeder to me. Either someone who bought a pregnant piggy from the pet store or has a boy and a girl piggy and didn't care if she got pregnant.

And here's your answer, not a breeder. :) I'm pretty sure this is a breeder. Please flag

Okay, I guess I was wrong. I will have to stay away from posting in the "Craigslist breeders" section here because I don't know what to look for, however, I don't think it was necessary to go that far to find out. Most everybody had decided already decided the ad was legit and wasn't going to flag, so no harm done. Unfortunately, someone was texted at nearly 2 am Eastern time, just to prove a point :(

Well, considering texting doesn't set off a ringer I know I didn't wake him. Plus I did apologize for texting so late because I didn't think about the time difference, he didn't mind because he was still awake. I wasn't trying to prove a point, I was just making sure as I wasn't entirely sure either. Sorry if you thought I was getting mean or something, I wasn't. :(

No worries, I just didn't want someone awakened for something so silly, and plus these people think they may have a lead on rehoming their pigs, but they don't. On a lighter note, I did get to learn some of the things that alert us to breeders. I get my foster pigs tomorrow (off topic, but I am excited, so I had to share)

Yeah I usually just point blank ask, "Are you a breeder?" So they don't think they have a lead. I did it the way I did it because I had a hunch they weren't breeders and I was worried they had boy and girl babies and I wanted to let them know they needed to separate at three weeks or they would have even more babies to rehome. He was grateful for the info. Lol I'll get back to him tomorrow morning to tell him I won't be taking any.

That's exciting!! :D Are they your first foster pigs?

I often respond to Craigslist ads just to pass on little tid bits of info like separating boys and girls at 3 weeks, and such. Most people are actually thankful to be given the advice, because most of them don't know like we do here :) Yes, they are my first foster pigs. I am getting a bonded pair of females. The local rescue has taken in a ton of surrenders lately, many of them being pregnant.

That's so great of you! :) How exciting! Are these girls pregnant? I wish I had the room to foster. Once I get a big enough place I definitely plan on it. I know resisting the urge to just keep them is going to be really hard though haha but still worth it of course.

I specifically requested NO pregnant females because I work several 16 and 18 hours shifts per month and since delivery can happen at any time I wouldn't want it to happen when I am not there. I live 2 minutes from the exotic vet my girls go to but if I am not home and a vet is needed during delivery things could go really bad, really quick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.