Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie Here!

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
Hello :eek: I'm new here :) I will get two guinea pigs soon (I've been Asking since the age of 8 or something,I am now 12.) And I have a lot of questions, I know only alot of stuff about hamsters, cats and some other pets ( I have 3 cats, 1 kitten, 1 middle aged, and the mother of the kitten) We usually don't "buy" animals, because that's just kinda wrong... so... What is actually adopting? do you pay for the pet or do you get it free? (i don't get it because people say adopting is free, and some say its paying) Here are my most important questions:

-How do I see if they are ill?
-How do I know how old they are without asking the owner/seller
-Which breed is the best for me?
-Do guinea pigs survive VERY HOT weather almost everyday? (Here where I live it gets to 40 ° rarely higher, in autm : 29 ° and in winter 19-23°) but inside in our house it is almost always cool....
-Do guinea pigs and cats get along?

That's it... please someone answer ): (i live in morocco.)

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Welcome! If your pig is injured, it may squeal, limp, blink alot (if eye is hurt),

Here is a list of things that could mean your guinea pig is sick:
labored breathing
sitting in the corner, not moving, not doing much
stuff coming out of eyes or nose ( if it is milky white it is just what they use to clean themselves)
producing..... waste less
eating or drinking less
bald spots/hair loss
coughing
Sneezing alot (healthy guinea pigs sneeze sometimes, so only if it is very often)

If your pig has any of these symptoms, bring them to the closest exotic vet as soon as possible.
There is really no way to know how old it is unless the previous owner knows. Some breeds have longer fur. The best for someone starting out with piggies would probably be crested. The best temperature for a piggie would be between 65 degrees and 75 degrees. I wouldn't recommend letting your cat and piggie play together. If possible get two piggies they do better in pairs

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Hi there, I don't have any answers for you since I am on here still to learn before I get my piggies, I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the family!!! There are soooooooooo many knowledgeable people here, so please don't ever hesitate to ask any question. No question is silly/stupid or an annoyance. We're all here for each other. lol

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I'm Stephanie and it's nice to meet you. :)

-How do I see if they are ill?

Guinea pigs are prey animals that hide illness very well until they are really sick (and guinea pigs can go downhill very quickly) but the first sign that they can't hide is losing weight. You need to get a kitchen scale for this and weigh them weekly. If you notice any dramatic weight loss, or consistent weight loss, this is when you call the vet. An exotic vet, not a regular "small animal" vet, that's for cats and dogs and they know next to nothing about guinea pigs.

-How do I know how old they are without asking the owner/seller

If they are adults, you really can't. If the owners don't know how old they are, then ask them how long they had them. That's pretty much the best you can do.

-Which breed is the best for me?

There is little to no difference with the breeds as far as personality goes. Some say Abyssinian's have more energy but that doesn't mean a lot of guinea pigs that are other breeds aren't energetic or that some abbys aren't lazier. Like I said it just depends on personality, not breed. Maintenance wise, long haired breeds are the most work. They require regular trimmings to keep their hair off the ground and clean, I'd say weekly combings too are necessary otherwise they start to get knots/mats. (Though I just do mine daily, because I hold them daily.) You may need to do "butt baths" to help them stay fresh and clean down there, every three months or so but depending on how lazy they are you may need to do it monthly. (My Maybelline is not only very fluffy but very fat and very lazy so I have to do it monthly haha) Do not use human shampoo or dog shampoo on them. If you can't find squeaky clean or another shampoo that's meant for small animals then you can use unmedicated kitten shampoo. Short haired guinea pigs hardly ever need baths, if ever, but sometimes the occasional butt bath is needed with them too. You shouldn't bathe them often because it can dry out their skin. Skinny pigs (or hairless pigs) need some maintenance too. I'm not fully educated on them so if you're interested in adopting one you'll have to look around for more info. :)

-Do guinea pigs survive VERY HOT weather almost everyday? (Here where I live it gets to 40 ° rarely higher, in autm : 29 ° and in winter 19-23°) but inside in our house it is almost always cool....

Guinea pigs should ALWAYS be kept in doors. The temperatures they are most comfortable at are 65-75 degrees fahrenheit. Too cold, they can get a URI, too hot they can get heat stroke. Both of which can be fatal for them. 107 degrees is FAR past 75, they will die in that heat.

-Do guinea pigs and cats get along?

Depends on the cat and depends on the pig. However no one is going to recommended they spend time together because even if the cat wasn't the type to try and hurt it and just wanted to play, the cat could accidentally injure the piggies with their claws. Guinea pigs are prey and cats are a predator so it's very risky to mess with that. Whether you decide to let them meet or not is up to you but never ever ever let them be alone together. If your cats have access into the room your piggies will be in, you need a top for your cage. Do you know what type of cage your building yet? C&c cage? Alternative? (I'm not sure what materials are available in morocco.) But we have lots of pictures you can go through of both kinds of cages with tops to give you some ideas as how to do it. :)

Adopting means you aren't paying for the animal itself, it doesn't mean you won't be paying something though. Like if you adopt a piggie from a rescue, whatever they charge is usually just to help out with the money they spent on them (food, bedding, medical stuff) and if you adopt from someone trying to rehome them, they usually charge a fee for the same thing, just to get some of their money back from what they spent on it. (Though sometimes people rehome their piggies for free.) Their isn't a profit from the piggie itself, unlike pet stores.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! Welcome again. :)

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
thanks so so much!!! :) You made my day, I'm just worried about the temperature here, in marrakech I am afraid they will not survive or something... Anyways thanks!!!!

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
Hi :) thanks for welcoming me ^_^ I'm here because of the exact same reason :rolleyes: I'm glad that I can ask everything I need to know :D Do you already know which breed of piggies you will get? And which gender? :eek:

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
Welcome! If your pig is injured, it may squeal, limp, blink alot (if eye is hurt),

Here is a list of things that could mean your guinea pig is sick:
labored breathing
sitting in the corner, not moving, not doing much
stuff coming out of eyes or nose ( if it is milky white it is just what they use to clean themselves)
producing..... waste less
eating or drinking less
bald spots/hair loss
coughing
Sneezing alot (healthy guinea pigs sneeze sometimes, so only if it is very often)

If your pig has any of these symptoms, bring them to the closest exotic vet as soon as possible.
There is really no way to know how old it is unless the previous owner knows. Some breeds have longer fur. The best for someone starting out with piggies would probably be crested. The best temperature for a piggie would be between 65 degrees and 75 degrees. I wouldn't recommend letting your cat and piggie play together. If possible get two piggies they do better in pairs

Very informative !! Thanks :eek:

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Hi :) thanks for welcoming me ^_^ I'm here because of the exact same reason :rolleyes: I'm glad that I can ask everything I need to know :D Do you already know which breed of piggies you will get? And which gender? :eek:

Hi pumpkinpig, first, my name is Michele. Since I've never had pigs before, I think I'm going to "start" with females. They sound like they'd be a little easier for me to handle to start with. I'm going to start with two and down the line hopefully add two more. I have a choice of two different rescues I can try, but they both are about an hour or more from me, but hey, I'm sure it will be worth it. As for the breed, I think the only one(s) that I wouldn't be able to handle right now would be the long-haired ones. Other than that, I really don't care what the breed is. I do love the look of abby's, but I'll love whoever I can get. At this point and time, I'm not picky. :cool:

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
Hi pumpkinpig, first, my name is Michele. Since I've never had pigs before, I think I'm going to "start" with females. They sound like they'd be a little easier for me to handle to start with. I'm going to start with two and down the line hopefully add two more. I have a choice of two different rescues I can try, but they both are about an hour or more from me, but hey, I'm sure it will be worth it. As for the breed, I think the only one(s) that I wouldn't be able to handle right now would be the long-haired ones. Other than that, I really don't care what the breed is. I do love the look of abby's, but I'll love whoever I can get. At this point and time, I'm not picky. :cool:

Awesome!! I'm not sure yet where I should get my piggies.. I am afraid That I don't get them at all! :( (My dad is allergic, HE SAID but he can be arround cats, I don't understand!) If I wouldn't get them I would be soo soo soo soo sad because I've been waiting for years! (noo really, FOR YEARS!) I'm planning to put the cage in my bedroom although I have a very small room not very very but not the biggest.... I also don't know where to get the cage, I've seen quiet a lot cages here, but very small. I had two hamsters once, and they lived in a very small cage Which I didn't like :( but.. well Rest In peace my hammies... oh well...
Wish me luck, I really want piggies !!!
Btw, how old are you? (you don't have to answer this question If you feel uncomfortable )

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your dad is much more likely to be allergic to hay than to the pigs. But that can be a deal breaker if he really can't tolerate the hay. Why don't you go to a pet store and buy two small bags of hay, one timothy and one of another kind of grass hay (meadow or orchard, not alfalfa). Have him handle the hay a little and see if he reacts. If he does, you probably should consider getting a different kind of pet, because guinea pigs can't live without hay.

Guinea pigs also need a good bit of room in their cages. They should live in pairs, at least, as they're social animals. But if they don't have enough room, they can wind up fighting and hurting each other, or gnawing each other's ears. If you don't have enough room for them, then don't get them. It's not fair to them.

Go to the main page of this site and read about recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better. Go over to www.guinealynx.info and read the basic care guide for guinea pigs. Remember that these will be animals that depend on you for good care, and for medical care, which can be expensive. Other animals can be easier to house, feed and treat, so it may be that you'll have to wait until you're older and can provide a good home for a guinea pig. I'm sure you'll be a great GP owner some day, but do please be sure that you can take care of a pig properly before you get one.

If you do get one, look for a guinea pig rescue near you. You can post the name of your city here, and someone will help you find one. Please don't buy from a pet store -- those pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and many are sold from the pet stores with illnesses and/or parasites, and many of the females are pregnant. There are thousands of guinea pigs in rescues that need good homes, and a good rescue will help you find the right pig for you.

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
Your dad is much more likely to be allergic to hay than to the pigs. But that can be a deal breaker if he really can't tolerate the hay. Why don't you go to a pet store and buy two small bags of hay, one timothy and one of another kind of grass hay (meadow or orchard, not alfalfa). Have him handle the hay a little and see if he reacts. If he does, you probably should consider getting a different kind of pet, because guinea pigs can't live without hay.

Guinea pigs also need a good bit of room in their cages. They should live in pairs, at least, as they're social animals. But if they don't have enough room, they can wind up fighting and hurting each other, or gnawing each other's ears. If you don't have enough room for them, then don't get them. It's not fair to them.

Go to the main page of this site and read about recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is always better. Go over to www.guinealynx.info and read the basic care guide for guinea pigs. Remember that these will be animals that depend on you for good care, and for medical care, which can be expensive. Other animals can be easier to house, feed and treat, so it may be that you'll have to wait until you're older and can provide a good home for a guinea pig. I'm sure you'll be a great GP owner some day, but do please be sure that you can take care of a pig properly before you get one.

If you do get one, look for a guinea pig rescue near you. You can post the name of your city here, and someone will help you find one. Please don't buy from a pet store -- those pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and many are sold from the pet stores with illnesses and/or parasites, and many of the females are pregnant. There are thousands of guinea pigs in rescues that need good homes, and a good rescue will help you find the right pig for you.

Thank you , I did what you said I bought hay, but he didn't react to it, so everything is fine! but about the medical care, i don't ever brought my pets to the vet, because that just kinda doesn't make sense to me. because there was a time when vets did not exist, and all animals were fine!! my cat had parasite worms, we removed them by giving her vinager with water -- she loved it!! and within a few days they were gone. We can get allong without them, (we r kind of bio ppl we also buy bio veggies and stuff) and I have space for a nice large cage in my room :) AND my bed and stuff. And i don't know where to find the rescue shelter (i live in morocco, a other country :D) so thats kinda the problem, but we have a lot of breeders here which care really good for them!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's not fair to an animal to have it and not provide vet care. Pigs can develop several problems that even normal vets can't treat -- urinary tract stones, dental problems, etc. -- and that cause them a lot of pain. What will you do then? Just sit and watch it suffer?

pumpkinpigg

Cavy Gazer
It's not fair to an animal to have it and not provide vet care. Pigs can develop several problems that even normal vets can't treat -- urinary tract stones, dental problems, etc. -- and that cause them a lot of pain. What will you do then? Just sit and watch it suffer?

No, But there are alot of house treatment options. And I Don't have any vet's here ... I would bring them to the vet, but what if vets make them only sicker?? I know that they do that, because here in morocco, no one goes to the vet, so the vet makes ur pet just sicker so you get back to him and he earns money. And... I ask myself... Did guinea pigs go to the vet when there was no vet? I don't think so, and as you see they were doing fine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't see that they were doing fine in the wild, and neither do you. They've been domesticated for hundreds of years, and are almost, if not totally, nonexistent in the wild because they were prey for everything else and couldn't defend themselves. Wild animals have much shorter life spans, much higher death rates, and a lot more pain and suffering than domesticated pets do. Watch a few videos of wild animals on the Animal Channel and see how well those prey animals live.

You can do as you like, of course, but if I couldn't provide care for a pet I chose to be responsible for, I'd either not get one, or get one that I could take care of.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If you're not willing to provide adequate vet care when needed then guinea pig's are not for you. Not many guinea pig illnesses can be treated in home and they are extremely painful. In my opinion it is extremely inhumane to sit and let an animal suffer because you cannot or will not take it to the vet.

To add, yes, humans and animals have lived for hundreds of years without medical assistance but that doesn't mean that they had a good quality of life. Animals that go without medical care when needed will live significantly shorter lives. Modern medicine has made it so we can live much longer and healthier lives.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.