Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers Cats jumping on c&c cage??

ssophie

Cavy Slave
I've recently just built a c&c cage that my pigs love B) and im planning on putting a lid on the cage with the metal cubes and just tying them down with some cable ties so i can lift the lid up and down. I was just wondering if the cubes are strong enough to withstand a cat jumping on them?? I don't really want to have to keep my cats out of my room (I will if I have to).

Alternatively does anyone have any ideas how to make a c&c cage lid really secure and strong but I can still lift it up and down? Or could i just tie it shut and cut the ties off when i want to take the guinea pigs out??

It would be much more secure (and look better) to use closet shelving as the lid. It's also easier to use as a lid than grids.
@lissie can give you much better advice about how to put it on than I could since I don't have one!

However until you have a secure lid, I'd advise you keep your cats out the room temporarily. It only takes a split second for one of your pigs to get injured or worse, even if you've got the sweetest cats in the world you never know what one movement might switch their prey drive in to hyper mode.

I had to have my boyfriend built a 3ft tall stand to put my cage on. My cats are more scared of the pigs than anything, but I have one cat who loved to get in the cage and eat hay. It led to an intestinal blockage and an $1100 vet bill. The stand is great. I can leave the pig room door open and have zero concern something could happen to the pigs or the cat can get to the hay.

I have a rabbit as well outside and my cats don't bother with him because he's really bossy so I'm hoping they'll be the same with the guinea pigs !! oooh how did you build the cage stand?? I was thinking of getting a little table to put the cage on and i could keep their stuff underneath but its 4X2 and i haven't found an affordable table that's wide enough for the cage !!

When I expanded my cage, I had to get creative since I didn't want to buy new closet shelving for lids. I had 2 pieces long enough for a 3-cube-long section, from my old 2x3. Well... I expanded to an L-shaped cage; 2x4 with a 1x2 attached. I wound up sticking cheap wooden ...what's the word... .. dowels? sticks? something like that, through the grid to support the lid in 'weak' spots. The other half of my lid is zip-tied/doubled over grids. I keep the back portion permanently ziptied, and the front portion (two separate pieces due to the cage shape) have a lip to hang over the cage so I can just open it as needed.
I'm bad at explaining. ;p

The stand is made out of 2x4s and plywood. I found the idea here in the photo galleries
(broken link removed)
I hope that worked. I have never posted a link before.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.