Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Abscess

W

Windiain

Abscess

Custard has an abscess located on his backside. He's had it for about 2 months now. He's been to the vets - twice, and was taken as soon as a tiny lump was discovered. It grew quite quickly to about 1.5cm diameter, and has been that size since, though I suspect there has been a little bit of growth. The vet gave it a bit of a squeeze and wiped a bit of pus away, and then told me to keep an eye on it and squeeze it myself.

I have basically been told that to remove it, it would have to be done under anaesthetic in surgery, and as such it's not worth doing unless it grows unsightly or bothers him. Seeing as it was neither, and I didn't want to risk putting Custard through unnecessary surgery, I decided to leave it and see if it would sort itself out as the vet implied it would.

Evidently it hasn't. And I'm feeling annoyed. It isn't actually bothering him, and he's plodding on as normal. It probably distresses me more (kind of like having a huge icky spot you just want to go away). I've been squeezing pus out carefully every so often, but it really is getting beyond a joke, because he hates being squeezed.

Now, a friend of mine who also has pigs recently pointed me to the website of Peter Gurney, a huge pig guru type in the UK, where he is of the opinion that the majority of vets make this procedure more complicated than it is, that you don't need all these expensive anaesthetics and antibiotics. He lances them himself, and has done for many years without any problems.

This has made me feel rather annoyed with my vet (and vets in general, given my sister's vet has pissed her around and failed to notice an internal abscess almost as big as a tennis ball, and now the poor pig is likely going to die). He was very apathetic and unhelpful when I went in both times, and gave the impression he couldn't be bothered (yet he went all out for helping our cats. Probably because they weren't small mammals). Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere, and there are no other vets nearby.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try lancing it myself, and if so how do I go about it? Should I take him back to the vets armed with some printed online info from experts to say he's talking bollocks and I want something done about it (after all, the old vet from there lanced Perkins' blocked wax gland no problem)? If so, does anyone have any links to some good, concise information?

Any help appreciated.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Can the vet lol

I can't offer any helpful info about the abcess, but I would suggest finding another vet even if it involves driving a bit farther. I live in a small town also, but for some reason we have oodles of vets, and there are only certain ones I'd bring my animals to. I'm quite sure that you're a very responsible pet owner and that you probably spend a ridiculous amount of money at the vet very often. For that alone the vet should realize that you are a serious client and that he owes you a reasonable amount of respect. He should listen to you, but I know that sometimes thats not the case. I've also noticed that when I've brought my pigs to a certain vet in the past, she didn't appear as interested as she was with a dog or cat. Dog, cat, pig, whatever...they should all be treated the same because you are a paying client who wants nothing but the best for your animals' wellbeing. The vet's office I've been with for several years now has 3 or 4 doctors, but I'll only see 2 because these vets know how I am about my dog, and if I'm bringing in other animals, they know I want the same treatment as I would for him. This is just my opinion, and apparently I felt like ranting about somethign this morning LOL. I hope you can find a solution.

G

Gertie Pig

Abscess

What is best for your pig. If the abscess is not getting better on its own then your going to half to do the surgery.

Check with your vet if they are confident with the procedue, if they are not then ask them to refer you to another vet with more pig experience. I've seen the surgery done and its not hard it finding the information on drugs that's hard. The vets have a web source call "VIN". My vet has this and refers to it when they don't know the answers.

The pig I saw done is doing great!
Good Luck

M

mom to cujo

abcess

some vets just don't know a heck of a lot about guinea pigs but won't readily admit it. I'd find another vet that is familiar with and regularly treats guinea pigs.

W

Windiain

Re: abcess

Unfortunately, my vet really can't be bothered. He's essentially said that it should just be left as it is if it isn't bothering. It isn't actually a case of him not being confident. Which is why I really feel like smacking him one, because he was so incredibly patronising about my worrying when I went in, to the point of him being exasperated with me.

I live in Lincolnshire in the UK. Anyone who has a look at the local map of the area will know that there's not much here - it's like stepping back in time, really. So there's a choice of the local vet, or driving for over an hour to get to Lincoln. Also, I don't drive, which means relying on other people to take me there. This is something I am prepared to do, but I was rather hoping that there was something to be done here before having to resort to that. While I'm sure Custard would love the attention of spending the day in my mum's office, I'm sure her boss wouldn't appreciate it. ;)

Surgery is something I would like to avoid if possible - I don't want to risk losing Custard, which is why I was rather hopeful that the vet would just be able to lance it without surgery (hence my request for info).

Obviously, if I can't find anything useful to shove under my local vet's nose, I WILL be taking Custard to a vet in Lincoln.

Thanks. :)

B

Briana D

Please register and post this at www.guinealynx.com/forums. There are many people over there that can help you with any medical advice you need.

W

Windiain

Excellent - I'm browsing through the forums now. Thanks a lot. :)

zingo-pig-hops

Cavy Slave
Re: Abscess

I think that your regular vet is just not confidentworking with guinea pigs. If a dog or cat came in with an abscess then he would recomened cleaning it out right away. The procedure is fairly simple. He would only need to give him a sedative that would calm him down. Then he would flush a sterile solution into the abscess and put a drain in the open wound or sew it up. It is very good that you are searching for a confident vet that has worked with guinea pigs. An abscess can become infected if not treated properly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.