Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie and would love some advice

clover84

Cavy Gazer
Hiya, I'm clover and have just purchased my first ever guinea pigs. One is a year old and the other is 11 weeks (father and son). You can tell they absolutely adore each other which is why I bought them together, I can just about manage to get the daddy to stay still enough for me to get hold of him (nobody told me guineas were super speedy lol), but the little one obviously doesn't really want to be held and is scared (I know he's only a baby still). Any advice on how to tame him and make sure he turns into a sociable guinea and not afraid of me. I don't want to grab him to much as I don't want him to feel I'm scary but at the same time if I don't handle him he won't get used to me... Whats the best way to do it?

I know its a really stupid question, but I really want to make sure he has the best start with me as he possibly can and seeing as you guys know guineas inside out I thought why not x

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Re: Newbie and would live some advice

Some guinea pigs just never get used to being picked up or even held. I would let them both alone for a few days to get used to everything. Guinea pigs are prey animals and have poor eyesight so try not to cast a shadow on them. You can also try just sitting by there cage talking to them softly. Then you can try hand feeding him. If you give them some food they will associate your hand with food and see it as a good thing instead of something scary. Also I will let my pigs investigate my hand first then pet them. And yes they are very fast. You can also try the piggy elevator some guinea pigs enjoy being picked up that way. Just take a box cut a hole in it but leave a flap so you can close it. Then just place a blanket in it and pile some veggies inside. Then just shoo one inside. Or if you have a cuddle sack you can use that. I would probably let them settle in more first. But like I said some just never like being picked up. Also some things to stay away from are leashes, wheels and large hamster balls. I would also check out the nutrition forum for acceptable foods. Good luck with your new piggies.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Hi Clover :) I'm Sarah, and welcome to the forum.
@Starthecavy123 has pretty much covered all the different ways you can try picking a pig up, so I don't have a whole lot to add other than to try and steer clear of their back ends.

As social herd animals they have to establish dominance, meaning one pig is boss pig, and the other takes "orders" from boss pig. One thing they use to establish this is mounting, so touching a pigs back end is usually unappreciated!

I'd also make sure you never really sneak up on them, let them know you're there by talking softly to them, and approaching their cage slowly. One thing I've noticed with my girls is now their cage is up on a table, they freak out less when I move round the room, so that might be something you'd like to consider too. But you have to know that even if your boys always go running away as soon as you come near the cage, it's nothing personal. They're prey to pretty much everything, and to them all we look like is a big scary thing trying to grab them, so of course they run away. After a long time they may become more comfortable, for example walking round your hands when you clean the cage. It's taken one of my girls almost a year to relax enough to potter round the cage while I'm cleaning it, and she's only just starting to feel confident enough to beg for food with her sister too.

Rywen

Cavy Slave

Hi and welcome to the forum! My Penny is skittish but she's getting better. I make sure to hold her and feed her some veggies during lap time every day. I also pet her while she's eating them in her cage, otherwise she runs away.

clover84

Cavy Gazer
Thankyou so much to all of you for your helpful advice. I shall try all your tips and hopefully my guineas will learn that I love them and aren't trying to eat them lol. They have been so much better today (baby still isn't sure but at least he jut stood and stared at me today rather than running for his dear life). I bought them from a very kind lady who I'm sure will be at hand should I ever need help.
no doubt you'll see me on here again asking for advice and hopefully oneday I'll be the one offering advice as I learn more and more about these wonderful little furries.
Thanks again guys xx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.