Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia What kind of hay do you feed your pigs?

PharaohPiggie

Cavy Slave
I've never seen Timothy hay for sale here in Australia and I've read that is uncommon due to being a water intensive crop. I've had my guinea pigs for around about a year now and I've fed them several types of hay during this time, mostly meadow and wheaten hay. What do you feed your guinea pigs? Are there any types of hay, common in Australia, that you recommend?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I feed my girls meadow hay, it's easier on my allergies and it's softer too. My girls prefer it.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I feed Oaten Hay almost year round, but it depends on the quality. If the Meadow hay is better quality when I go out to my stockfeed place I buy that, but the Oaten Hay has been exceptional this year so I've stuck with that.

This is the current bale I'm using, it's so green!
What kind of hay do you feed your pigs?

What kind of hay do you feed your pigs?

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I feed timothy hay but I don't know what will be the best for you since you live in Australia.

mejika

Cavy Slave
Wow Aerytn, that hay looks delicious! Where do you get it from?

And PharaohPiggie, you can get Timothy hay in Australia, albeit in small bags from the US which aren't cheap! You can find Oxbow at some pet supply shops and vets, the stockists are here: (broken link removed) . I've also seen that Peters has a Timothy hay that's apparently grown in Australia - has anyone seen this?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Yan Yean Stockfeed in Doreen. They get a fresh delivery every Thursday and I've been buying it from them for 5 years now and have always been impressed with the quality.

I've seen the Peters Hay, it's pretty terrible quality. They compact the bale in the plastic bags, trapping the moisture in them, almost all the bags I've seen have mold in them.

PharaohPiggie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the responses guys!
@Aertyn That hay looks amazing! I'm going to try and find some of similar quality!
@mejika Thanks for the link, that'll be helpful if I ever need any CC, but the expense of the timothy hay is a good reason to stick to bales from the stockfeed.

mejika

Cavy Slave
Yan Yean Stockfeed in Doreen. They get a fresh delivery every Thursday and I've been buying it from them for 5 years now and have always been impressed with the quality.

I've seen the Peters Hay, it's pretty terrible quality. They compact the bale in the plastic bags, trapping the moisture in them, almost all the bags I've seen have mold in them.
Thank for the info! It's about an hour's drive from me but I'd be happy to make the journey to get good hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.