Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Is PVC Pipe okay for a guinea pig "tube"

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am building a new cage for my guinea pigs. Its going to be a 2-story cage with fleece flippers. Since I can't cut a hole in the middle of a flipper, we are going to make the ramp a PVC tube that goes out one end of the cage and goes up at an angle to the top. This way they can walk right out on to the fleece.. IS this safe enough? IS there any other way to do this?

You will have to make it so that you can clean the tubes and make it so there is traction in there for them to climb up. But this will work. I'd also suggest drilling breathing holes for them. I know some people have done this.

Another way would be to make a ramp out of wood and just put bent grids over the top.

Get a very large diameter pipe -- mine outgrew their pipe tunnel.

It's also a good idea to cut a long, inch-wide slit down most of the top. That way, when two of them start down the tunnel from either end, and they will do that, you can put a wooden spoon handle through the slit to encourage one of them to back up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.