Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Bunny proofing a room!

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Hey guys so I didn't get those other baby bunnies but here's where people will get mad I responded to a meat add and went a picked up two babies. I want to make my entire room a their bunny paradise how can I bunny proof my room for them? I have no cords and I only have a bed and dresser :)

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
No cords is an awesome start. As for furniture, the most important thing is to block off anything that a bunny can get under, like a bed, or a dresser that sits more than a couple of inches off the ground. The same grids you use for a C&C cage make pretty good unobtrusive barriers.

That said, be aware that your carpet will probably get peed on. Pooped on as well, but that's much easier to deal with. My rabbit has chosen a patch of carpet in front of my main door as her territory, and she likes to pee and poop on the carpet there, even with a litterbox on the spot. We're getting her spayed this month hopefully, and in the meantime we're going to clean the hell out of the carpet to hopefully get rid of her scent marking, so she'll forget that she's claimed that carpet.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I also like the binky bunny tips for bunny proofing because they have photos -- I like to visual it!
(broken link removed)

If you have babies, I'd really suggest keeping them in a larger cage until they are litter trained. It is much more difficult to have them be consistent (when they are older) if they are smelling old pee marks on the carpet. If you want them to have more space, I'd put a tarp down on carpet until they are fully trained.

Do you know the sexes of the 2? or the ages?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
cute indoor setup.jpg oh, I remembered I had found this (maybe on pinterest?) ...thought you might be inspired by it...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I <3 that rabbit room! Oh if only I had the space! What happy bunnies must live there. :)

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Yes, I love that room too! (that's why I saved the photo :) )

...maybe, someday....:love: (dream, dream)

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Hello! I ended up just giving them free reign of my room with a few boxes :) I'll be shampooing the floor when they go in for their spaying and neutering. They seem to caught on to the litter box fast and other then a few turds here and there my floors quite clean. When I do see a yellow patch I use some carpet cleaner for pets. They are a male/female duo that are 7 weeks old getting split up at 10weeks in different rooms until they get altered I hate to do it but it must be done has I want no babies they are both Flemish giants so that's more then enough rabbit love for me! They are both very curious and loving pictures coming soon!

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
When I first got them and they were very shy

Attachments

image.jpg

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Oh, they are adorable!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Very cute bunnies! When I was a kid my parents adopted two "dwarf" "female rabbits for my sister. They were not dwarf and were and a male and a female. My poor Dad had to build a 2nd hutch!

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Goodness! Look at those ears! Keep us updated on how they are doing. =)

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
Goodness! Look at those ears! Keep us updated on how they are doing. =)

Just curious are the ears bad or good being so big?

Also so the male is quite big compared to the female sound I be worried?

Do bunnies bond for life? These two have taken quite a likening to each other and I am not sure if it's because they are not altered or they are bonded.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't think their ear size would be a problem.. Are you positive about how old they both are? Just make sure to always keep them separated once they're 10 weeks old until they get neutered! As far as I know, being fixed or not doesn't really affect whether they bond with each other, but keep in mind that you'll have to reintroduce them after the long separation and they may not bond as well the second time around.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Just curious are the ears bad or good being so big?

Also so the male is quite big compared to the female sound I be worried?

Do bunnies bond for life? These two have taken quite a likening to each other and I am not sure if it's because they are not altered or they are bonded.

The ears are fine. Big ears usually means it was hot when they were babies.

No problem with the male or female being bigger or smaller. The male is probably going to end up being bigger just because he is male.

Bunnies bond and will be life long friends. If they were litter mates it is probably because they are bonded or they could be bonding over the new scary situation. Sadly they will need to be separated until they are fixed and then you will have to go trough the bonding process with them. For rabbits this can take months so be prepared for lots of hard work and time. Don't get discouraged if they don't seem to get along from the start.

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
The ears are fine. Big ears usually means it was hot when they were babies.

No problem with the male or female being bigger or smaller. The male is probably going to end up being bigger just because he is male.

Bunnies bond and will be life long friends. If they were litter mates it is probably because they are bonded or they could be bonding over the new scary situation. Sadly they will need to be separated until they are fixed and then you will have to go trough the bonding process with them. For rabbits this can take months so be prepared for lots of hard work and time. Don't get discouraged if they don't seem to get along from the start.

Yep I deffiently hate having to seprate them but it must be done! my new 3 story 2 by 5 hutch will be in very soon for them. I just have it for them for night time I leave them out all day but when they are bigger and I dont have to worry about my cat eatting them at night I will probably leave them out at night too my cat is not allowed out a night since she likes to pounce on feet.

Sorry for all the questions food? I dont know if I am giving them enough or too little they get two cups of pellets in the morning and 2 cups at 10 my time when I get home. They also have unlimited hay (I bought a hay bale. Needed lots for 8 piggies and 2 rabbits lol) They also get veggies I throw in off the piggie salad. I read lettuce is bad for them and never to give them that? However I did before I read that and they like it alot also they love catolupe? None of my animals get a lot of anything?

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't think their ear size would be a problem.. Are you positive about how old they both are? Just make sure to always keep them separated once they're 10 weeks old until they get neutered! As far as I know, being fixed or not doesn't really affect whether they bond with each other, but keep in mind that you'll have to reintroduce them after the long separation and they may not bond as well the second time around.

I was told they were 6 weeks when I got them they are both male and female (I checked and the lady checked) they are 7 weeks and on the 20th when their new hutch comes in I will be seperated them just incase the times were off or anything :) Sadly if they don't rebond I will most likely have to rehome one since I dont have the space and parents already dont like me using the spare bedroom for the four months to seprate)

I will be keeping the male Buck no matter what he's a pure sweet heart! So curious and friendly I love him so much already lol

GPMommy

Cavy Slave
oh FYI! just a little background! they are from different litters. I went their to pick out two females and Ginger was my first pick because she kept sniffing my hand and licking me! I went back to the barn ( they were kept in stalls) to pick out another girl and I kept tripping over Buck who was chewing on my shoe everytime I went to look around. Anyways I picked him up and he smelled my face and I was sold on him lol!

Anyone know what it means when a rabbit ears are folded down? Ginger's ears are always flat for some reason?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
That's correct-- no veggies and definitely no fruit until at least 12 weeks of age. Since your Flemmies will be babies for even longer, it wouldn't hurt to hold off until 4 months before offering greens. When they are old enough to offer greens, dark green lettuce is just fine. Romaine, red leaf or green leaf lettuce is just fine. Iceberg has no nutrition so there is no point to feeding that. When they are older, the greens should be introduced slowly, but Inle-rabbit's links explain all that.

As for the pellet food amount, usually babies are free fed pellets. The only exception would be if they are over-eating the pellets to the point where they are not eating their hay (or eating very little hay).

Just bear in mind when you read about the diets of rabbits, there is a difference between adult and juvenile diets. Typically the juvenile diet ends around 6-7 months of age. But not so with Flemish. They will continue the juvenile diet until roughly 10 months (some say 1 year).

It isn't unusual for such young bunnies to get along, but as others have said, that can all change with the onset of hormones. Those hormones can cause formerly snuggly, cuddly bunnies to turn on each other and fight viciously. I never consider baby bonds to be true bonds for this reason.

Bunnies bond best when both are fixed. Males can usually be altered at an earlier age than the females which is rather convenient since it can take 1 to 2 months after surgery for the boy's hormones to settle down. It is usually best to wait out the 2 months post surgery before attempting any bonding. You can check this page on my rabbit site to see a couple different methods for bonding (for when the time comes).

Oh, and just to be fair, those hormones can affect their behavior towards you as well. So don't be offended or think something is wrong with your rabbit if one of them starts getting nasty or grumpy. My site explains some of this but not to worry- fixing them will take care of hormonal behavior.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.