Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Sifting litterboxes

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I've been thinking about sifting litterboxes for wood pellets; & @pippypoppy2's post on a hay thread caught my attention. Does anyone else use plastic grids or other sifters in their piggies' litterboxes?
It's such a great idea to help making cleaning easier. The pellets turn to sawdust when wet, which I don't like mutch, & poo is a bit hard to pick out. It's not that I hate doing it but it does take a bit more time. I've started putting a layer of cut up corrugated cardboard on top (cardboard is really good but I have to order it online) to make things easier.
Anyway, does anyone else use sifters in the litterboxes? The idea is for sawdust (& poo if the holes are big enough) to fall through to the bottom so only pellets remain on top. Some use 2 boxes, the top has holes. Some fit grates or mesh into the box then lift the grates or whatever to sift the waste through. I'm thinking DIY.
How does it work for you @pippypoppy2? Any others?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think anything with holes or mesh is good for animals with rodent-like feet. They can catch a nail or toe in the openings and injure themselves.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've tried it. This was how I layered it, from bottom to top.

Solid plastic tub -> Plastic tray with holes -> Wood pellets.

The layer of wood pellets were thick enough so the pigs would never get to the holes. I didn't use it for long. It was harder to clean. The pellets did get stuck in the holes sometimes, making it harder to clean. The wood on the top had to be thrown away anyways, since it's very hard to separate poop, hay, and the pellets. There's no point in letting the pellets dust fall through, when you can't save the pellets for later use.

I've seen it used for cat litter box. I think it's easier for them since they can just pick up cat poop, and reuse the pellets.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-Feline-Pine-self-cleaning-litter-bo/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I like the fact that the pellets turn to sawdust. I just slide a spatula under it, take the clump out and throw it away.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Thanks @bpatters & @lissie.
On thinking more about it, although it sounds a great idea in theory (the litter layer would be quite deep), I've decided the scoop I use (sorry to interupt here, but I'm chuckling at Holly rearranging her haybag)
is more the problem, being narrow with too-small holes.
So instead of a DIY sifting system, a wider scoop with bigger holes could be a better solution. I never thought of a spatula, that's a good idea. And I'm glad to hear from someone who has actually used the sifting system.
Thanks all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't sift. I just take the whole clump out and throw it away. After I've gotten all the clumps out, then I stir what's left.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry @bpatters. I was so fixated on sifting I didn't pick up what you said properly. And of course spatulas don't have perforations do they. Must have been thinking of those other things that do, bad cook that I am.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.