Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet Pellet free guinea pig diet

Eat the cheese

Cavy Slave
Hey guys,
What should I feed my guinea pigs if I decide to put them onto a pellet free diet? What would be the best vegetables? I am thinking of doing this because getting quality pellets is going to cost about $40, and I'd have to pay that about every month, It's a little too expensive for my budget, especially when I am planning to get a few more.

Veggies are more expensive than pellets.

$40 buys a LOT of pellets. How many pigs do you have, and how many pellets are you feeding?

I live in Australia and have 2 guinea pigs. I was looking at getting oxbow pellets from the Australian ebay store, which is a 2.25 kg bag, the description below the pellets says that it should last 2 months, is this wrong? I give my 2 pigs 1/4 of a cup a day

I just posted this thread about pellets estimation.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/110266-Pellets-Estimation

You're right, a 2.25 kg (5 lbs) bag would feed 2 pigs about 2 months.

Have you try ordering more than 2.25 kg? When you order in bulk, they might give you a discount. Pellets can be stored for 6 months.

Have you talk to other Australian members about the pellets they feed? There should be other brands that won't be that expensive.

Last edited:
I was looking at getting oxbow pellets from the Australian ebay store

That is probably one of the most expensive ways to get oxbow pellets. My local vet was able to get them in for me for a total of around $25 to $30 a bag (I don't recall the exact amount but it was definitely not over $30 but this was a few years ago) and I live in South Australia.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.