Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Telling People How Many Pets You Have

nikdarg

Cavy Slave
For those of you who have a lot of pets, do you tell people what you have? I usually don't tell people exactly how many pets I have until I really get to know them better. This is because I have what I call a "stupid" amount of pets. The pets I have include:

-2 guinea pig boars (Willow and Cleo)
-6 cats (Aslan, Fermata, Puba, Ludwig, Hildegarde, and Gabby)
-1 dog (a chihuahua, Mabel)
-2 rats (Maya and Luigi)
-1 mouse (Rupert)
-1 corn snake (Celeste)
Almost every single one of these animals was rescued with very few exceptions.

Honestly, it is my personal opinion that if you have enough money to take care of them properly (and by properly I mean giving them EVERYTHING they would ever need or want) and afford the vet if they need it and you have enough time to give them all a fair amount of individual attention, you don't have too many. Once it isn't possible to do those things, you are at the limit and should not have as many.

Anybody who comes over to our house tells us how friendly and well taken care of our pets are and comment on space they have. The piggies have a 3x6 c&c with a 2x2 loft that people refer to as a guinea pig "mansion" and the rats are in a critter nation cage with four levels. The mouse is in a 30 gallon long tank and the snake is in a 130 gallon tank that is elaborately decorated. The cats and dog like to all lay down in a pile together and get along fabulously.

Anyway, I guess the point is, for those of you who have a large amount of pets, do you get strange looks? Do you even tell people? I feel like with certain TV shows out there people's minds always seem to jump immediately to hoarder - even when you take great care of them and can afford it. I feel like with the amount I have to over explain the care they get to convince people I'm not a spontaneous animal collector who lives in piles of feces.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'm in the same boat. I have 10 former feral cats, all range from 9-12 years old, and I've had animal control called on me and everything else. Nothing ever comes of it because they are all well cared for. They are very sweet with me after so many years but are terrified of strangers. I tried to adopt them out as kittens, but they were just too wild and no one wanted them. I decided they should be allowed to live out their days in peace with me, rather than be killed at a shelter. 98% of cats do not get reclaimed or adopted in my county.

nikdarg

Cavy Slave
I've never had anyone who has ever come to the house and met them complain because my cats are all super friendly to literally everyone they meet and everything is clean and tidy. I never shy away from talking about pets at all, I just usually don't bring up numbers. I feel like people just tend to assume the worst when they hear how many and once they see them and the house they understand that it isn't time to call TLC's film crew.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
My house is clean as well and the cats have their own room. The person who continues to call animal control only does it to get back at me if I don't do what she wants me to do. She is my nephew's mother, but she and my brother are no longer together. They finally told her to stop calling because she was lying to them. She told them I had 40 cats in hamster cages hidden all over the house. Mind you she hasn't been in my house in years, she just made it up. But they came with the police and searched my whole house for cats.

nikdarg

Cavy Slave
@pigmommy89

Wow...That's really terrible. At least the police know that she is lying now.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I normally don't tell people how many animals I have but I certainly can on here

2 - guinea pig Boars Leo and Sawyer
1 Rabbit - Yet to be named
1 dog - Schnoodle Scrappy 18 years old
1 cat- Oreo

and hopefully a snake when I move in December

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
I have 4 dogs, 3 guinea pigs, and 2 painted turtles. I plan on eventually turning my guinea pig trio into a small herd, so that number's not going to get any smaller...

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
Sometimes people joke that I run a zoo when I tell them I have five (two pigs, two rats, and a dog). The weird thing is that people don't get judgmental until I describe their care. Piggie cage is almost 3X6, rattie cage is a double critter nation, and all four get fresh veggies and such daily. I drop my dog off with my retired dad (who loves dogs) when I go to work so my dog won't be lonely, (which was the arrangement proposed by my parents, not me, when I moved near their neighborhood.)

So it's okay I have five, but dang, don't spoil them???

Last edited:

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The only person who seems to think I have too many pets is my mother. I have the three pigs, two bettas (in separate tanks!) and a budgie. She calls it "the menagerie," I think partially because so many people think it's zoo-like to have so much room dedicated to the animals. In addition to the c&c cage, each betta is in a 10 gallon tank, which most people would consider excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
My family and I went to look at a house tonight, and the realtor thought it was gross that I have guinea pigs and want more of them. She said that she used to have two guinea pigs that she bought for her kids, but didn't know that one was male and one was a female, so she ended up with a baby pig. Apparently she didn't realize the sow was pregnant until she gave birth. Then, to make matters worse, she said that she didn't know the baby had to be separated from his mom, so she ended up with another litter, which she referred to as "retarded, inbred guinea pigs" and proceeded to dump all of them at a pet store, telling the staff that the guinea pigs were "literally retarded". >( I think she used that R word to describe them about 10 times.

Baylee Cathey

Cavy Slave
I only talk about my pets if people ask, I have two piggies (soon to be 4) 3 dogs, 2 cats, a red eared slider, a 60 gallon aquarium with a ton of fish, and a Betta in his own 5 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.