Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Fungal or something else?

pigtales

Cavy Slave
Fluffy has an area around this ear that I thought was fungal, so I've been putting miconazole 2% on it twice a day. It doesn't seem to be significantly better in the three days I've been treating it but it doesn't really seem worse either. The bald patch behind the ear seems larger, but maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me. It is probably worth mentioning that one of our other piggies had ringworm about two months ago that I successfully treated with the same cream. Thoughts?

IMG_20160731_221408732.jpgIMG_20160731_221528226.jpgIMG_20160731_221814806.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, all pigs have a bald spot behind their ears -- bigger on some than on others, and bigger on one ear than on the other in some pigs.

If you think it's something other than the normal bald spot, I'd keep using your current ointment for a week. Fungus is slow to respond, and you don't want to stop too quick. But if after a week or 10 days it's no better, or if it gets worse in the mean time, then switch to a triple antibiotic cream. You can get them at any pharmacy.

pigtales

Cavy Slave
I didn't realize the patches could be different sizes but I suppose that makes sense. It's just hard to compare the two ears because her other has black skin and hair. She really dislikes the cream (to the point of trying to nip me) and I just assumed that after several days fungus would still be present but no longer painful. I'll keep on doing this and hopefully it will be cleared up soon. Thanks!

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
From your picture it looks like the bald spot pigs have behind their ears. What makes you think it's fungal or abnormal?

pigtales

Cavy Slave
From your picture it looks like the bald spot pigs have behind their ears. What makes you think it's fungal or abnormal?

It's hard to see in pics but there is definitely flaky skin in the bald spot, back of ear, and base of the inside of her ear. She's also scratching it more than normal and by my touch the ear itself feels "different" than usual. Leathery or stiff or something.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Well, my guinea pig has flaky dried bits of skin on the edges of his ears where if you rub it, the bits come off. Also like there is sebum or greasy feel to the underside of the ears. It's always been like this so for his case it's normal. But the thing that's concerning is that you say she scratches a lot more. So I would just do what bpatters said.

pigtales

Cavy Slave
It is looking somewhat better today. Not as flaky, so hopefully it is healing and not some other issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.