Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Bumblefoot?

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
Hello,
My girl have a bumblefoot (at last this i think is that she have).
Our vet (the best i find until now) told me to give her with calendula cream, but have no result. I read on internet to put there iodine, i tried that too, but her leg is the same.
What can I do? She is normal, walk normal, does not seems to be in pain.
Where i live does not exist exotic vet. They don't know nothing about GP, they just try to help.
I used before shaved wood, but for a month I use blankets.

IMG_2278.jpgIMG_2280.JPGIMG_2283.jpg

dirah93

Cavy Slave
That's definitely bumblefoot. Please read this page for more info and treatment: https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

If redness occurs, she will need to be put on antibiotics. See this page for a list of exotic vets: https://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

To bring down the swelling, you'll need to give her an epsom salt soak. Make sure to keep a close eye on her so she doesn't ingest anything.

Also if you switched to fleece, you'll need to keep it very clean to prevent infection.

Last edited:

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much for the interest @dirah93
Tell me please epsom salt it is magnesium sulfate? I ask because i don't know what it is and I have searched on google and i find that is magnesium sulfate, and i don't want to be wrong.
Thank you so much for everything.

dirah93

Cavy Slave
You're welcome. And yes epsom salt is magnesium sulfate

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
Thank you @bpatters

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
Hello again,
my piggy foot is same. I don't know what to do anymore. But I have read that some Vets often prescribe antibiotics such as Baytril, together with Rimadyl. I don't know what to do. Can I give her those medicine?
and also how to give her? How much or how?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You probably can't get antibiotics without a vet's prescription.

I wouldn't give her Rimadyl. Pain medications can cause problems with the gut, and you certainly don't want to add digestive issues to foot problems. Also, most pigs don't seem to exhibit much pain with bumblefoot unless it's really bad.

How often are you soaking her foot? What solution are you using? What is the strength of the solution?

Bumblefoot can be hard to cure, and it takes a LOT of patience.

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
I use epsom salt 2 times a day. And for few days I use iodine also.
I put her leg with iodine and betadine, after that I soaking her leg in epsom salt, after that I wash her leg and I give with calendula cream.
Now i have ordered from gorgeous guinea an F&M ointment that they say is good for bumblefoot.
i would do anything just to see her ok.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much Epsom salts in how much water? Maybe the solution isn't strong enough to do any good.

How long are you soaking it? Maybe it's not long enough to help.

And doing the Betadine before the Epsom salts is the wrong way around. You're just turning around and soaking all the Betadine off the foot as soon as you put it on.

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
I put 15gr epsom salt on 20 - 30ml water .
It is better to put betadine with iodine after soaking her leg on Epsom salt?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know what you mean by "Betadine with iodine." Betadine IS iodine -- it's combined with a complex polymer called povidone. It's strong stuff, and shouldn't be left on the pig's foot. You can paint the area of the bumblefoot sore with it, just not the area around that.

I have no idea how much 15 grams of epsom salts is -- I don't have a scale that weighs that small. I'd put a heaping teaspoon full in 1/4 cup of water. You do need to rinse afterward.

You didn't say how long you're soaking it? And are you putting the pig's foot in the solution, or just putting a cloth on it?

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
I am sorry was my mistake. I wanted to say iodine with baneocin. I make a mixture of them and I put it on the leg.
15gr is something like 2 teaspoon and the water i put it in one normal cigarette ashtray.
i let her in the solution about 10 min. After that she get bored and is a very scared piggy. I have to let her more?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, ten minutes is good. Make sure she's somewhere comfortable, and feed her yummy treats while she's soaking her foot. Just don't let the food dip into the solution.

I usually put a towel on a table and put the pig in the crook of one arm, then feed with the other.

Mihaela

Cavy Slave
She don't eat nothing when is there. She just stay with a scary face and after 10 minutes, it's like ok, come on, let's go. After that i take her in my lap, eats her favorite food and is happy.
Thank you so much for your advices.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.