Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Patch's foot. Bumblefoot???

KPIGGY

Cavy Slave
Patch is around 7 months old. I have had her since she was 6 weeks. She is bedded on fleece and has a two story c&c cage.

Last night I noticed something brown on her foot at first I thought it was a bit of pooh stuck to it. I tried the get it off and it wouldn't come off so I soaked her foot in luke warm water and it still wouldn't come off. She doesn't like me to touch her feet and has started to bite me too.
I will be taking her to see my vet tomorrow morning to get it checked out.
Is this the start of bumblefoot? If it is how would she have started to get it?
She has never walked with her feet flat on the floor she seems to walk on the back part of her feet and her toe nails have always grown curly and very quick. I trim them once a week.

I will post a picture of her foot when I figure out how to do it.
Thanks
Kerry

It doesn't sound like bumblefoot. It does sound like she has poo stuck to her foot or perhaps a spur. Maybe both. It may be a spur with poo stuck to it.

Poo on the foot can be very hard to remove. Glad you are taking her in to get checked out though. Without seeing it it is impossible to diagnose.

That looks like a spur to me, Poppy gets those quite often. You need to VERY CAREFULLY clip it off, making sure not to get too close to her skin. It's like a callous, just dead skin cells. Please do have a vet look at it first, as the photo was very fuzzy.

I agree that it looks like a spur. My piggie gets them on both front feet. I trim them when I trim Piggie's nails. My vet instructed me to clip them carefully and close to the skin -- but not totally down to the skin. He said clipping them too closely would increase the risk of the skin tearing since it's used to having the hardened spur to protect it. I asked about the cause and he said he doesn't have a clue -- some piggies get them and some don't. Also a piggie can have one for awhile and then it will quit growing and just be a bump for awhile. Taking Patch to the vet is still the best advice.

Yup, looks like a spur. Have your vet show you how to safely clip it. It will need to be clipped everytime you trim nails.

On the plus side they are really easy to maintain once you know how.

I took Patch to see the vet this morning. It is a spur that she has.
Thank you all for your replies.
I thought that I had been doing something wrong and that I caused her to hurt herself.
I felt releaved that it is not serious and that it is something that alot of piggies get.
Thank you all again.
Kerry

My guinea pig Charlie had spurs too, NMPiggymom when I took Charlie to the vet to find out what it was because I too thought it was bumblefoot, the vet said his spurs were due to a vitamin c deficiency.....I started to feed Charlie a few slices of oranges every week (he gets the proper share of his veggies too) and the vet even told me to put a little OJ in his water and the spurs eventually went away.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.