Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Question about guinea pig eye

NotSureOfAName

Cavy Slave
Hi,

This is my first post ever, so I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to format this. One of my guinea pigs recently developed a murky blue eye, and from what I've read online, I think that she's either blind or going blind in that one eye. She's about 3 years old, although I'm not 100% sure. I've attached images and I just wanted to double-check that nothing was wrong.

Question about guinea pig eyeQuestion about guinea pig eye
Here is what her other eye looks like as reference:
Question about guinea pig eye

Thank you in advance for any help!

It looks like a classic case of hay poke to me. This is cause by a piece of hay or hay dust getting into the eye and causing a scratch on the eye ball.

This should be seen by a vet, who should check the eye for any remaining debris, perhaps stain the eye to confirm there is a scratch present, and prescribe an eye drop/ointment to put into the eye to help it heal properly, with treatment her eye should return to normal. Without treatment it could get infected which could lead to the eye needing to be removed, also eye injuries are very painful.

Ditto @Soecara. I'll only emphasize that eye injuries are very painful, so it's to her benefit to get it treated as soon as possible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.