Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Mouse's Health Thread part two

Cut her food in matchstick sized slivers and push them into her mouth. If you can get them back to her molars, she'll be able to chew and eat them.

I'd be going back to the vet and complaining, especially since you told them not to cut them too short.

The good news is, GP teeth grow very fast, and it shouldn't be more than a few days before they're long enough to meet.

Darn tootin' I am contacting that vet! In fact, I already called, he wasn't there, but the receptionist will have him call me tomorrow. I was trying matchsticks today and she wouldn't take them, but once the Reglan helps move things along, I think I'llhave more success. She is only taking 5 cc's at most in one sitting. That means feeding her every 2 hours. Way too much stress on her.

I am so frustrated and worried. I cut her green peppers, carrot, parsley, apples, and hay into slivers and when I get them back to her molars, she just pushes the food out. She is fighting me on force feeding. Even with someone holding her, I can only get 1-2 cc of critical care and 1-2 of water. I am giving it more often when I can, but with all her doctor visits, is,entices I can only do it every 4hours.

She he had fluids IV and reglan IV yesterday, more fluids today.

My my tooth had a chunk of enamel fall off, so I was in the dentist today. I just don't know what to do.

The he dentist said he needed to cut her incisors that short so her molars would touch, because they didn't before since her incisors were so short and he wanted the incisors to grow back straight instead of the slant that they were in. Apparently, the slant was huge, so that is why they are so short. He said she can pick up hay and things with her lips.???

48 hours after surgery and she refuses all food. He said sometimes it can five days for the soreness to go awaway and she can loose 100 grams and still be okay. Wednesday she was 1 kg, Thursday 0.97 kg, and we forgot to measure today because the vet tech took her back. So, I guess, 0.90 and then she is hospitalized?

What at can I do with a pig that refuses all food and water?

You can force the food in her. If you don't, she'll die.

It's called "force" feeding for a reason. She'll hate it, but you're equipped to win this battle. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html, and try that method.

I called my vet and she said stop the Metacam because it may be making her feel nauseous. With that drug affecting the kidneys and liver on top of g.i. Statis, which affects the same areas, it may be making her feel worse. I have an appointment for 10 a.m. If she doesn't get better. I am going to feed her every two hours and try to force more in.

I read the links and posts here and have Mouse on a vibrating heating pad. I am going to be by her so she doesn't get depressed. I am basically doing everything the links are telling me. It will be easier to feed her once my husband is home and he can hold Mouse. I will read how fast to push the liquids in from your link.

Thanks boaters. At least we know why Mouse keeps getting g.i.stasis.

Actually, I have read the guinealynx site. I went there first. I a,so gave mouse some vitamin c. I may go too fast with the syringe.

O my, I see my iPad changed you to boaters, lol. I mean bpatters.

She ate 6-7 cc of crical care and 2-3 Of water at the last two feelings. My husband can hold her much better than my nine year old. She didn't have her pain med and seems more chipper and curious. She even rooted around in the hay a bit when she was with her sisters. I am going to have the vet write that Mouse gets nauseous and unhappy on Metacam so if this ever happens again we will know sooner.

Mouse is down to 0.93 kg. She was at the vet and they gave her fluids. We were told to give her food every hour now. We were able to get much more into her. It was hard by myself, but much easier with my hubs holding her.

The. Et said we can get her over this hurdle successfully, but her teeth will need to be dealt with probably more than every three months. Her molars in the front are extremely tilted and there is nothing to stop their growth. Extremely tilted even in comparison with a f
guinea with tilted teeth. But we will make decisions once we know how often.

I have Mouse cordoned off in the main cage and not in a different room that she was in becaus she was missing her sisters too much and never moved from her hidey. Now she is more active, and hopefully that will entice her to eat.

i gave them one small orange piece.of course, flicker and birdie ate it but flower and mouse looked like they ere afraid of it, lol.

Why is Mouse not getting better? It has been 7 days since we took her to ER and 4 since her tooth fix and still she just sniffs at her food, but will not attempt to eat it or drink. She is partially by herself and partially with her sisters. I hoped she would eat poos and more food, but she hasn't.

I made poop soup for her with one cecael and one regular. Flicker seemed surprised her special poo went missing, lol. She had 7 cc's of that. but why isn't she trying to put things in her mouth?

I need more advice, please.

i have been hand feeding Mouse for two and a half weeks now. Her teeth have not grown together yet! The problem is that she will not eat on her own. Have tried different size pieces of cilantro, parsley, lettuce of different types, and her favorite - green peppers. The green pepper was pushed back onto her molars, she chewed on it, but then spit it back out. She is also not drinking on her own.

Due to medical issues with me, I must sleep 8 hours or my MS will flare up. I haven't been sleeping and now I am getting problems walking, so she has to go without hand feeding for 8 hours. During that time she is not eating because her weight went down. She will not move if she is separated from her sisters, she just sits in the same spot and is getting urine scald or bumble foot issues on her feet from it.

She is now .89 kg (89 grams) because I was feeding her every four-five hours in the day, hoping she would be hungry and eat on her own, but it isn't happening. Why is she not eating? Her teeth are not totally together, but the vet said she should be at least trying to eat and can get food into her mouth if she wants.

It sounds so much like what happened with Duchess. I still don't know what initially happened to her, but she ended up in kidney failure. Have they given her motility drugs to try to stimulate her appetite?

It sounds so much like what happened with Duchess. I still don't know what initially happened to her, but she ended up in kidney failure. Have they given her motility drugs to try to stimulate her appetite?

Yes, she is taking Reglan every 12 hours. It has kept things moving, but not really increasing her appetite. The vet doesn't know what is going on until we do blood work which will be over $200. We decided to wait a couple of days to see if her appetite increases once her teeth get closer together. We are grasping at straws until it is apparent blood work in necessary only because I have already spent $600 in the past 2 1/2 weeks. This si also the third time she has stopped eating, but this time it is the worst.

I understand. I spent $140 on bloodwork that showed absolutely nothing wrong. Four weeks later I did the same thing again and this time it showed renal failure. All told I spent $1100 in vet bills in a month's time.

She just put a pellet in her mouth and chewed, but it worked it's way out. I don't know if she pushed it as in not wanting it, or she couldn't keep it in her mouth. It seemed like she wanted it, but it couldn't stay in. What would cause that?

I understand. I spent $140 on bloodwork that showed absolutely nothing wrong. Four weeks later I did the same thing again and this time it showed renal failure. All told I spent $1100 in vet bills in a month's time.

My $600 is cheap! lol Sorry to hear about your Duchess. My husband does not see the value in getting blood work done. He figures if it shows something bad, she probably can't be cured, like a dog taking medicine for diabetes or whatever.

I still need advice. Please look six posts up from the bottom of page 2 for my questions. She is not getting better.

Please look six posts up from the bottom of page 2 for my questions. She is not getting better.

What post number? (It's on the far right of the blue bar above each post.) Not every paginates the same way.

What post number? (It's on the far right of the blue bar above each post.) Not every paginates the same way.

Post (broken link removed) . Her weight has gone down to .84 kg today. I have been feeding her every 3-4 hours.

I'd get another opinion from a different vet.

I'd get another opinion from a different vet.

I consulted with the dental vet and two exotics vets at my usual place. I'll check another exotics vet.

Do do you have any ideas on what it could be?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.