Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Bloodwork - Necessary for Spay/Neuter?

Legume Family

Cavy Slave
One of my friends has two female pigs who are 2 and 3 years old. He would like to get them spayed as he has read a lot about ovarian cysts and wants to avoid the possibility of that occurring. He has found several exotic vets who performs this service frequently, sometimes several a week, but he has been unable to find out about the necessity of blood work prior to anesthesia as all the vets have different policies.

From everything I've heard/read, it is very difficult to do blood work on a guinea pig. My question for you guys: is it necessary for him to get his girls "cleared" for anesthesia via blood work? Or is a vet advocating for blood work inexperienced/trying to get extra money from him? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
i wouldn't have it done as a routine procedure, but I'd be willing to sign a waiver saying I'd refused it before surgery.

Legume Family

Cavy Slave
Hi bpatters, would you mind clarifying a bit? As a routine procedure you are saying it's unnecessary or something you wouldn't pursue? In the case of surgery, what is your opinion? He is willing to do blood work but isn't sure if it's necessary or even a good idea.

Thanks for your response!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think blood work is necessary for a guinea pig before surgery, unless possibly the pig has had an illness of undetermined origin or is showing signs of a possible kidney or liver problem. I'm not even happy having to have it done for a healthy dog or cat, but most vets here won't do it before doing a procedure, and my dog needs occasional dental work.

I have done it without complaint before surgery on our old dachshund. Senior pets can sometimes have conditions that make it dangerous to have surgery, and knowing that would inform any decision as to whether to go ahead with the surgery or not.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I don't do preoperative blood work for any of my young, healthy pets. Sick or elderly pets are a different story because underlying health problems can affect whether or not to do the procedure. I have actually received useful lab results from guinea pig blood work before, but it was done on a very sick pig as a last resort kind of thing.

kcake67

Cavy Slave
I don't think blood work is a necessary on a young, healthy pet of any kind. If the pet is very old then maybe, but I don't even think my ten year old cat needs it. I'm pretty sure that you can decline having blood work done. I have heard of vets refusing to perform an operation if blood work is not done, in that case, you can switch vets.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
In general, I'm inclined to agree with you. However, even in an ailing boar who had an undiagnosed mass in his abdomen, blood work yielded absolutely no useful diagnostic information. And, if the results of the lab work are not going to change the treatment, why do them? Apparently, in your example, it did change the course of the treatment........or not?

Yes, it did change the outcome for me. My Dutchess was in renal failure so I decided to go ahead and euthanize rather than prolong the inevitable. I had been handfeeding for 6 weeks by that time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.