Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Hello!

Piggycraze

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Um im not vegetarian, but i was considering becoming one, until i watched Dr.Oz and he said that not eating meat isn't healthy? I was just wondering if i became a vegetarian, how would i makeup for all the stuff in meats? Since meat is one of the major food groups, how could i get all the good things from the meat in vegetables etc? Also what are the pros and cons of being a vegetarian? Thanks!!!:)

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Dr Oz is wrong. You can get all the protein you need from a plant based diet. You have to learn how to balance it and put it altogher. There are so many meat substitutes at the stores, many use soy. I use Crumbles alot for tacos, spagettit, anything that requires ground meat. I also use the fake chicken and chicken patties alot.
There is oodles upon oodles of info and recipies on various websites. Just type in vegetrarian diet in google. Peta has a whole section devoted to going vegetarian and vegan. They will even send you a kit to help you get started.

The meat industry is beyond cruel. Peta has a video called "Meet your Meat" on its website. about the farming of animals for slaughter. I myself cannot even watch it. Going meatless saves the lives of animals. It hopefully in time will stop the horrific cruelty. Saves water, as it takes alot of water to produce meat. Saves land.
It is better for your health. It comes down to personal choice. Do some research and then decide for yourself. Good Luck.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Dr Oz is wrong. You can get all the protein you need from a plant based diet. You have to learn how to balance it and put it altogher. There are so many meat substitutes at the stores, many use soy. I use Crumbles alot for tacos, spagettit, anything that requires ground meat. I also use the fake chicken and chicken patties alot.
There is oodles upon oodles of info and recipies on various websites. Just type in vegetrarian diet in google. Peta has a whole section devoted to going vegetarian and vegan. They will even send you a kit to help you get started.

The meat industry is beyond cruel. Peta has a video called "Meet your Meat" on its website. about the farming of animals for slaughter. I myself cannot even watch it. Going meatless saves the lives of animals. It hopefully in time will stop the horrific cruelty. Saves water, as it takes alot of water to produce meat. Saves land.
It is better for your health. It comes down to personal choice. Do some research and then decide for yourself. Good Luck.

How does it save land?
Plants use up land as much as animals do. And animals will always be here, so the land will always remain used. I find the comment very confusing.

jamiek

Cavy Slave
"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian." ~ Paul McCartney

Vegetarians include dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cheese, etc) and eggs in their diet. These are excellent sources of the best protein is there.
Vegans as opposed to vegetarians rely solely on plant based diet. Even there, one can obtain a proper balance of proteins by learning how to combine ingredients.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian." ~ Paul McCartney

Vegetarians include dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cheese, etc) and eggs in their diet. These are excellent sources of the best protein is there.
Vegans as opposed to vegetarians rely solely on plant based diet. Even there, one can obtain a proper balance of proteins by learning how to combine ingredients.

I've never met a Vegetarian that included egg in there diet. As egg is a baby chicken, all vegetarians I've met have chosen to not eat an unborn baby chicken.

Kritastrophe

Cavy Slave
I've never met a Vegetarian that included egg in there diet. As egg is a baby chicken, all vegetarians I've met have chosen to not eat an unborn baby chicken.

A common misconception which I learned about in my Intro to Animal Science in college. The eggs you buy at the store are actually UNFERTILIZED eggs, or should be as most chicken farms, have females in single pens. Chickens, ducks, etc will still lay eggs if no male is present. Although the conditions some of the chickens are in are horrid. There was actually a study being done while I was in college with purposely blind chickens in small pens who actually had a higher output of eggs being laid. But not to get off subject, you can't be eating an "unborn chicken" if it's an unfertilized egg as it would never hatch since there is only half the chromosomes needed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.